Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 95 2.5L manual. Last night my wife said there was a hissing noise coming from the jeep, like a tire leak. When I went out to check it, no hissing. Today my wife calls me and said the jeep overheated, when I got to there, coolant was dripping from the back of the engine, on the left side, under the exhaust port. I filled the radiator and drove until I could hear the hissing, sure enough it was coming from the back left side of the engine, and it was a lot of coolant was spewing! I filled the radiator again and started it. A huge plume of white smoke came out of the tail pipe, and I limped it home.

Could this be a blown exhaust gasket? Really could use some help!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sounds like the gasket broke on the outside of the coolant passage and the cylinder side of the gasket is getting weaker as you go. Would be worth replacing the plugs and getting the head decked to make sure all is true and straight.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Sounds like the gasket broke on the outside of the coolant passage and the cylinder side of the gasket is getting weaker as you go. Would be worth replacing the plugs and getting the head decked to make sure all is true and straight.
x-2, change the oil too

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So after tearing into the engine, I got the intake and exhaust manifolds off. I poured water into the radiator and back where the spewing was going on, water was pouring out of a freeze plug! I know I should still pull off the head, and change the gasket since I'm this far but it would take a few weeks and a lot of extra shipping costs. My question now is, what size are the plugs? I will do more research but if anyone knows off hand that would be great!

·
Registered
248 Posts
man, sounds like you got lucky. maybe it was just a rusted freeze plug. pop a new one in and change the oil and let her ride.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Freeze plugs rot from the inside out. There's something causing this one, and possibly others to rust / rot out. Definitely replace that one, but go get a bottle or two of coolant system flush and run it in the engine for a few hundred miles. Depending on where you live, running straight distilled water may not be an option due to the temperature. But, it's the cheapest way to keep the motor cool why trying to find or force other leaks with freeze plugs.

Other thought is to replace them all while you're replacing one since they rot from the inside out....

Once you fix the leak, drain, flush and fill with a 50/50 mix or whatever your preference is.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All four were rusted out, I could poke my finger threw all of them! The PO must have been running tap water or even salt water! Just waiting for the parts to arrive (plugs and gasket), I hope the plugs are 7/8 in. cause that is what I'm ordering! None of the parts stores that are on island have them!!

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts