Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have been checking out tires and want to know if anyone out there has run these on their rig and what others have to say about them..How do they hold up on rocks and road?

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
the suck on pavement loud square very poor grip on wet roads. Dirt and mud they work great rocks only so so. I had a set on my old XJ and they were a decent tire but nothing special. If your trails are more mud then rock they are a good choice if there is more rock KM-2s or MT-Rs would be better tires.

·
Administrator
12,635 Posts
figure 20-25 miles for thread... great off road. If the cost had been less would have got another set over my km2's. tough side wall, great in mud and rocks for what I ran. Will flat spot over night, and give you thumps for about 10min until the warm up.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I ran a set of 32"x11.5"x15 TSL-SX tires, and at first, they rode quiet, tracked straight, but took lots of RPM to go uphill on pavement due to the aggressive tread. After about 3K mi., the tires began to sound more like a Mud-Terrain tire. When you would hit a bump on pavement, the tire would squish into the pavement - due to the bias construction.

By about 15K mi., the soft tread was about 1/2 worn down, and loud on the pavement - living up to the Super Swamper name.:punk: These tires are not meant for street use, would flat-spot overnight, and would thump on the street for about 1 mi. until they warmed up, then they would run round on the street.

I was running these on my '94 Ford Ranger with 3.73 gears and open differentials. Off-road, they performed like a champ, allowing me to go up and down the trail without lockers, but still getting great traction on the dirt and in the mud. After 20K miles, they were wearing down to 2/3 their original depth, and I sold them - buying a used/like-new set of 33" BFGoodrich All-Terrains (pre-KO).

Traveling on the dirt road from Mike's Sky Ranch to the Observatory Road in Baja, I went around the boulder - nearing the cliff, I lost traction but thankfully, did not go over.:surrender: This scared my spotter although, I didn't feel anything behind the wheel. A couple of years later, I sold the Ranger, and bought my Rubicon. After 8K mi., I sold the little 31" MTRs that came with the Rubicon and switched to the Interco TrXus MT. A radial that performs well, but isn't an ear-splitter like the TSL-SX on the street. For dedicated trail use, a TSL-SX will rock your world. But, for a weekend warrior, their TrXus MT does a respectable job with a drop in decibels to cut down on ringing ears.:thumb:

The TrXus MT in Baja - Laguna Salada!:punk:

Baja - Pole Line Road

My current set of TrXus MTs are worn down, but still worked and did not get flats on the 3 day trail. Again, on the Pole Line Road.

Miles separate you from the nearest service station when down in Baja California, so a good tire that doesn't get flats is very important for running trails south of the border. For me, the Interco tires fill the bill.:thumb:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts