Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 2016 Freedom Edition JKU with the dreaded 3.21 gears. I have a TeraFlex leveling kit with Toyo Open Country R/T - XD Monster II tire and wheel package.

I am a daily driver, but going to wheel for the first time in July and will most likely wheel from time to time.

I am thinking of getting an AEV 2.5 lift...
Also thought of stepping up to 35's

Thoughts - concerns? My 3.21 gears going to be a major problem?

Just looking for feedback.

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
You will definitely want to regear.

·
Super Moderator
10,628 Posts
My first Wrangler was a 2008 Sahara with 3.21 gears, 6-speed manual and stock 32" tires: 6th gear was rendered pretty much useless on anything but absolutely flat freeway cruising. I had to downshift at the slightest hint of an incline, or to pass.

I can only imagine what an automatic must feel like with 3.21 and 35" tires.

I'd re-gear.

·
Registered
159 Posts
This is a very subjective matter, and not dreaded at all. If you're mainly using the Jeep as a daily driver with occasional off-roading (2-3 times/year and no rock climbing) you'll be just fine. You may feel a little heavier on the initial acceleration, but that's about it as a daily driver.

I have that same setup you're planning on and personally have no issues. It's my DD and I do a couple off-roading trips - mainly green with some blue trails mixed in - a year which is more than enough for me.

As an addition to what you're planning, I strongly suggest replacing your factory steering stabilizer with a beefier one (specially with 35s) and relocating it above the tie rod with a special relocation bracket, as it's the first thing to go on your first off-roading trip. I have the OME setup from Quadratec and couldn't be happier: https://www.quadratec.com/products/16091_2016_07.htm

Good luck!

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Are you in hilly VA or flat VA?
Hill, 4.56 gears. Flat, 4.10. Add a locker while you're doing it. Buy once, cry once.
Declare victory and enjoy.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I'm fairly happy with my 4.10s and 35's, but I live in a flat area. SW PA with hills was a little less pleasant and I can only assume that Colorado is going to be meh this year. On the trails the 4:1 transfer case makes it all irrelevant IMO.

·
Premium Member
9,574 Posts
.......On the trails the 4:1 transfer case makes it all irrelevant IMO.....
That's what I kinda thought. But 4.10 and 35's in the rocks is not a lot of fun in the more technical parts. Last year I ran the Compressor in Idaho, not a hard trail really but it is creek bed, all boulders, falling tree's, waterfalls and of course all wet. I think I stalled out 3 times and was slipping the clutch way to much. I would love to run it now with my 4.88's.

Reactions: mommymallcrawler

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
That's what I kinda thought. But 4.10 and 35's in the rocks is not a lot of fun in the more technical parts. Last year I ran the Compressor in Idaho, not a hard trail really but it is creek bed, all boulders, falling tree's, waterfalls and of course all wet. I think I stalled out 3 times and was slipping the clutch way to much. I would love to run it now with my 4.88's.
dang, in 1st gear?? I'm sure there are areas that that could happen (I just had to youtube that trail), but for the vast majority of us casual wheelers I'd be surprised if it's the case. I don't think I've had to go lower than 2nd gear in 4-lo yet, although I don't get to play in the rocks much.

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
This is a very subjective matter, and not dreaded at all. If you're mainly using the Jeep as a daily driver with occasional off-roading (2-3 times/year and no rock climbing) you'll be just fine. You may feel a little heavier on the initial acceleration, but that's about it as a daily driver.

I have that same setup you're planning on and personally have no issues. It's my DD and I do a couple off-roading trips - mainly green with some blue trails mixed in - a year which is more than enough for me.

As an addition to what you're planning, I strongly suggest replacing your factory steering stabilizer with a beefier one (specially with 35s) and relocating it above the tie rod with a special relocation bracket, as it's the first thing to go on your first off-roading trip. I have the OME setup from Quadratec and couldn't be happier: https://www.quadratec.com/products/16091_2016_07.htm

Good luck!
Gearing is only subjective to a point. If the post was "should I run 4.56 or 4.88 with 35s", it gets a little subjective depending on use/elevation/towing. At 3.21, there is nothing subjective about it - way too undergeared for 35s.

Reactions: dawhitesJKU

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
I'm fairly happy with my 4.10s and 35's, but I live in a flat area. SW PA with hills was a little less pleasant and I can only assume that Colorado is going to be meh this year. On the trails the 4:1 transfer case makes it all irrelevant IMO.
The Transfercase does not exactly make it irrelevant. The only way you are getting full benefit of that Transfercase is being properly geared to begin with. I would do 4.88 with 35s and you could crawl all day long, 4.10s that won't happen, the tire is simply too big to really crawl that ratio.

And of course the Transfercase is useless on pavement.

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
It should be a very dramatic difference I bet.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
The Transfercase does not exactly make it irrelevant. The only way you are getting full benefit of that Transfercase is being properly geared to begin with. I would do 4.88 with 35s and you could crawl all day long, 4.10s that won't happen, the tire is simply too big to really crawl that ratio.

And of course the Transfercase is useless on pavement.
I've got 3.73s, manual, and 33s. It drives me nuts.
But I have the MaxCare million mile warranty and I won't regear and lose it.
If I did regear though, I'd want 4.56s for my 33s. And if I had 35, at least 4.88; maybe even 5.13.

Some people can't deal with that amount of grunt though.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you everyone for your feedback...I am going to get the lift and wait on the 35's...

I will tell you, my Toyo's are heavy!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts