Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Super Moderator
53,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
"Engine feels stronger and more powerful, but not like jumping into a F150 with a V8. I was actually expecting a lot more "seat of pants" improvements, but it wasn't there. Maybe it's just how I drive a stick. I did notice I could keep the rpms under 3k and not feel under powered, not like my 09 where I would have to really wind it out just to feel like i'm not driving like a granny. The manual does say it needs a 500 mile break in period, not sure if it will change after that. I'm really hoping that Superchips does some magic with the FlashPaq for the 2012s."

Wants a flashpaq for the 12 already :banghead:

·
Registered
194 Posts
I wouldn't say that's a horrible review. I know that guy has had quite a few jeeps, but, I don't think he'll ever have a factory built jeep that's seat of the pants fast. Maybe I'm different then most, but I just want a motor that will turn 35's at 75mph with little to no effort. Forget fuel economy and wheelies, it's a jeep dammit.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I don't know what he's expecting. The biggest improvements are at high rpm and it doesn't sound like he went there. An 80 hp improvement at 6000 rpm won't be felt at 3000 rpm where there's only a 10 hp improvement.

·
Super Moderator
53,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Super Moderator
53,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oilwell1415 said:
I don't know what he's expecting. The biggest improvements are at high rpm and it doesn't sound like he went there. An 80 hp improvement at 6000 rpm won't be felt at 3000 rpm where there's only a 10 hp improvement.
Very true. I recently been reading up on the 2012. Surprised that the power is so high in the rpm band. The way most of us drive, what's the point?

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Personally I would never chip a brand new vehicle since it voids the warranty :nonono:

Guys tried to convince me to chip my Dodge Diesel when I bought it in 06...not a chance I'd do that.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Personally I would never chip a brand new vehicle since it voids the warranty :nonono:
This is not accurate. About the only thing you can do that voids the warranty is tamper with the odometer. A chip doesn't void anything. At most they might deny warranty coverage on a case by case basis, but the burden of proof is on them to show that the chip caused the failure.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
This is not accurate. About the only thing you can do that voids the warranty is tamper with the odometer. A chip doesn't void anything. At most they might deny warranty coverage on a case by case basis, but the burden of proof is on them to show that the chip caused the failure.
^^This.

My only quibble is with the "burden" issue--while technically correct, it'll be a dealer tech making the initial decision. Then you get to argue with him. If he disagrees, it's not as if you can force him to do the work. You'll instead have to elevate it with Chrysler, which can choose to agree with him, and that leaves you with going to court.

So yes, the "burden" is on them in the sense that they must come up with some colorable reason for the denial. But if they can do it, they'll like feel internally that they've satisfied their "burden" and will send you on your way.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
If you say so, but I was told in no uncertain terms when I bought my Dodge that chipping was a warranty void...I still won't do it to my truck or my jeep. I'm happy enough with the way my truck performs as is. I hope to be as happy with my Jeep when it comes....maybe next June :popcorn: Still in D after over two weeks...

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
If you say so, but I was told in no uncertain terms when I bought my Dodge that chipping was a warranty void...I still won't do it to my truck or my jeep. I'm happy enough with the way my truck performs as is. I hope to be as happy with my Jeep when it comes....maybe next June :popcorn: Still in D after over two weeks...
Directly from the 2006 Dodge warranty book:

2006 Dodge Warranty Manual said:

B. Modifications That WILL Void Your
Warranties​
These actions will void your warranties:
• disconnecting, tampering with, or altering the
odometer will void your warranties, unless your
repairing technician follows the legal requirements
for repairing or replacing odometers; or
• attaching any device that disconnects the​
odometer will also void your warranties.

As usual, the dealer was either a bastard liar, or he had no idea what he was talking about. Or maybe both.

I'm with you on leaving it alone. We'll do some appearance mods, but likely leave the mechanicals alone for a long time.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
If you say so, but I was told in no uncertain terms when I bought my Dodge that chipping was a warranty void...I still won't do it to my truck or my jeep.
It's possible that there are special rules for diesels given the emissions standards, but I expect you were just fed a bunch of nonsense.

You can download any pre-2012 Jeep warranties here. They're surpisingly short and easily understood. In sum, what you add isn't covered (so Jeep won't warranty your chip, bumper, lift kit, etc. . . . duh) and anything damaged by what you add isn't covered (so if your chip, bumper, lift kit, etc. causes damage, the damage isn't covered either). Either way though, warranty coverage remains on anything that isn't added aftermarket or damaged by an aftermarket product. It's really only odometer tampering that voids an entire warranty outright.

That's it.

Federal law prohibits manufacturers from setting arbitrary standards to get out of warranty work--i.e., not getting serviced at a dealership, using non-Chrysler parts, driving above the speed limit, using foul language while driving, being ugly, etc.

So, if you put in a chip and it messes something up, then the damage isn't covered but the rest of your warranty remains intact. On the other hand, if your chip causes no damage, then the chip has no effect on the warranty.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
^^This.

My only quibble is with the "burden" issue--while technically correct, it'll be a dealer tech making the initial decision. Then you get to argue with him. If he disagrees, it's not as if you can force him to do the work. You'll instead have to elevate it with Chrysler, which can choose to agree with him, and that leaves you with going to court.

So yes, the "burden" is on them in the sense that they must come up with some colorable reason for the denial. But if they can do it, they'll like feel internally that they've satisfied their "burden" and will send you on your way.
It can come down to how hard you want to fight the dealer, but if you go to war and win there is a good chance they will be on the hook for your legal costs as well, so a letter from a lawyer will often go a long way towards resolution in your favor. We also have the advantage of being able to share our experiences online. If an aftermarket part is going to cause problems, it won't just do it for one person. If there are 10,000 widgets running around on Jeeps and that widget is causing an issue, there should be about 1,000 Jeeps with the issue, not just a few.

The fact of the matter is that the only document that comes with a new car that is less read than the owner's manual is the warranty book. 99% of new car buyers have no clue what their rights are as owners.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Another thing I'll add is that any item that voids your warranty MUST be listed specifically in the warranty. They can't make general statments about modifications, they have to say exactly what it is that will void it, sometimes down to the manufacturer name and part number for the item that will allegedly void the warranty.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Ok...guess I/he was wrong. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I was told in March, when I ordered a 2012, that the delivery date would be 15-Sept... does anyone have more up-to-date info? I've been using my wife's car for 2 months now and I'm getting a little anxious here....

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I didn't know one could order that early. Conventional knowledge is that order banks did not open until June ???

·
Registered
73 Posts
Overseas Military Car Sales. I had just sold a 2007 and tried to order a 2011, but the half doors weren't available, so I decided to wait it out. Turned out to be a blessing in disguise, as I found out about the engine change a couple months later...

1 - 20 of 51 Posts