Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this gas can and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with it.

Amazon.com: Flo n' Go Duramax Fuel Caddy - 14-Gallon Capacity, Model# 06792: Automotive

I have the back seat taken out and it seems like it would fit pretty easily. It has some mixed reviews but seems that most of the negative reviews are things that i am willing to deal with. I understand it would be heavy and might not be as fast flowing as a normal pump but paired with a high capacity I think the extra weight and wait would be worth it. Being equal to nearly jerry cans seems like a great deal. Plus I wouldnt have to deal with the terrible "no-spill" nozzles which seem to not spill any gas out of the nozzle but every other opening in the can is fair game.

Can you all think of any more pros and cons for this system? I have measured and with the equipment that I take with me, I would still have plenty of room.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
those have been around for a long time. they're used to refuel boats. the wheels let you cart it down the dock.

yes it will be heavy, around 100 lbs. Once it's in the Jeep, it's there until it's empty.

my question is have you run into situations where you need more fuel? If you haven't, I wouldn't bother.

I've driven halfway across the country 3 times with my LJ and haven't found the fuel tank to be the limiting factor....I've found my bladder or bowels to need emptying before the gas tank needs refilling. Sure the gauge isn't accurate, but I stopped caring a long time ago. I know it's off and how much its off, so I just plan/compensate accordingly.

That said, I'd love a bigger gas tank for my LJ, but I'm not willing to pay Gen-Right prices. Where I would like the bigger tank is when I'm off-roading way out in the wilderness. My preferred hunting areas are about 40-60 miles from the nearest gas station. Once at camp, it involves a lot of driving to scout and get to trails for hiking in. In the summer, I put 120 miles on my ATV in 3 days, burning a little over 5 gallons. When it's 10 degrees out I prefer the heated Jeep, but the mileage is terrible at 4-lo speeds. I end up needing to drive back to civilization to get gasoline. I've got two 5-gallon fuel cans and take those with me when needed, but that only does so much good when we're hunting for 7-8 days or so. So far the new plan is to tow the Jeep with my new-to-me diesel truck in the winter season. The truck sucks bad on these hunting roads, but I can get all the way to camp on one tank of diesel....instead of 2-3 fill ups for the Jeep (depending on load). Tow Jeep full of gas, with extra gas cans, drive Jeep off-road exclusively in hunting area. Once tag filled, season ends, or I'm out of gasoline, tow Jeep back home.

·
Sponsoring Vendor
'13 JK
4,694 Posts
Hmmm. I think there are better options, just a suggestion.

Rotopax -
http://search-parts.jeep4x4center.com/search?w=rotopax&SEARCH.x=0&SEARCH.y=0&SEARCH=Search

Jerry Cans -
http://search-parts.jeep4x4center.com/search?view=grid&w=jerry&SEARCH.x=0&SEARCH.y=0&SEARCH=Search

Not that you would have to mount it permanently (the extra cost of doing so) , but for a weekend trip, you could carry one with you only when you need it. If you did want to have one with you at all times, there are dozens of ways to do that safely (many of the outside the interior).

Just a thought. :)

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I would not carry gasoline inside the Jeep. The only exception being a professionally built racing fuel cell, which is engineered to be highly puncture resistant.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
DARWINISM ... $109.99 proves it works.

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts
I wonder how many people actually use them to carry fuel because they might run out when wheeling.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would go with a rotopax if you're going to carry it on the jeep, much safer and easier to mount. Functionally, they do work well, but are not designed for what you're describing. We have a similar tank that we carry on our open 6 place atv trailer sometimes so that we can refule right from the trailer at camp... but I wouldn't want it in the cab with me!

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Please don't even dream of carrying gas inside your vehicle, between the fumes and hazard of an accident not worth the nightmarish scenarios. As the other posters said if you need spare gas for some reason store it outside your vehicle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts