Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my thermostat housing replaced under warranty a few weeks ago. I've been noticing extremely small trails of dried coolant. I thought it was residual from before the swap.

Well today I notice the bleeder on the thermostat is all gummed up with what looks like fresh fluid. I did my best to try and wipe away the gunk and the bleeder cap falls off and a stream of coolant starts spraying from the bleeder.

Now I haven't touched the thermostat since it was changed. I have no reason to, and I certainly didn't modify it (this later)

I had the jeep towed back to the dealer, after about 30 minutes the manager comes in and asks if I had "adjusted" it or anyone else "messed" with it. He takes me out to the jeep, shines a flashlight on the thermostat and there is a metal screw down in where the bleeder cap would be. It felt like he was accusing me of some redneck/ghetto fix by putting a metal screw into the thermostat bleeder where the plastic screw should be.

He offered to repair it under warranty, so I didn't push it, but I know for a fact it hasn't been touched. Did a dealer tech get lazy when they put the first new one in, strip the bleeder and just tap a metal screw in instead? Weird.

Anyone else had anything remotely similar?
Or is there a metal screw under the plastic by design and the dealer doesn't know his own parts? I'm really confused

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
There is a bleeder screw on the 2015 Wrangler Thermostat
SCREW. Bleeder made by Mopar. #05184979AA

You can enlarge the picture for a better view.
I am not familiar with the parts, just looked this up on the parts site.

·
Super Moderator
7,624 Posts
If I had to bet the tech bled the cooling system after the repair and didn't tighten the bleeder down enough. You touched it to clean it up,,,,,,,, you get the picture. Typical to blame the last person who touched something, or take a shot at trying to shift the blame. At least they're fixing it without a fight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts