Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been considering painting the interior trim for a while now. Has anyone done this? If so, did you have any regrets? (Tips are also welcome)

·
Registered
14 Posts

I just did my interior trim. I originally wanted yellow to match the exterior, but due to a lack of yellow plasti dip locally and my impatience, I went with white. All in all I love the white more than I think I would the yellow. I went with white trim, and black plasti dipped the screws.

Having tried both spray paint and plasti dip, I'm going to use plasti dip a lot more. Here are my reason to use plasti dip over spray paint:
  • Plasti Dip is more forgiving and easier to work with. Mistakes can easily be peeled up or corrected.
  • Plasti Dip is inexpensive, and with a little forethought, you can get it in dozens of colors.
  • Plasti Dip adds an extra layer of protection against scuffs and scratches, and helps preserve what's underneath.
  • Plasti Dip Is easily changed - if you want to change colors after a month or two, you simply peel it off and respray with the new color. Or perhaps you just want to go back to stock color, you can just peel it off and it's like it never happened - Plasti Dip is regret proof.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Nope, wouldn't do anything to the current trim as it's already the bronze 75th anniversary color and good luck the dip stuff tried some on the pillar's between the doors. Although it gave me the idea and example of what the jeep will look like, I removed the coating soon after as it wasn't meant for a permanent fix.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I've been considering painting the interior trim for a while now. Has anyone done this? If so, did you have any regrets? (Tips are also welcome)
Yes, I painted the interior trim pieces that I could, and purchased covers (and painted) those that I couldn't get off. My build thread post #16 has some pics of what I did.

As far as tips, just take your time and be sure to tape off the areas that you don't want to get painted. You a quality paint using several light coats until you get the coverage that you're looking for. A little clear coat will help too.

Hang the pieces from pieces of wire (or something similar) so that you can easily get around all sides to coat them evenly with paint.

good luck

Exco

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I got a deal and purchased the Mopar interior trim kit in blue. It replaces all the silver trim pieces that most usually paint.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I did mine in granite Crystal...pretty simple to do and IMO makes it match much better

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do you have a pic of this? I am thinking of doing something with the interior trim and am trying to decide between this and the plasti-dip. Thank you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts