Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I have a 97 SE Wrangler that got a paint job and it looks like the shop lost all the hardware (screws and such) that hold down the door panels, roll bar, and seats. Any information on what sizes I need or where to purchase these would be helpful. Thank you.

·
Registered
725 Posts
If a shop did that to me, they wouldnt of received one penny til it was put back together the way I brought it in! Oooo that woulda irked me something fierce.

Thats a lot of screws and such, so couldnt tell ya what all sizes. But maybe try Fastenal for the majority if you wind up tackling this yourself. You might be able to look up some diagrams on the net that would tell ya what you need. I know the dealership has diagrams of what goes where, but dont advise that you get all your stuff from there (cost).

What did the shop do, throw it all in your trunk and say good luck?

·
Jeep Flip-Ur-Top Commercial Member
873 Posts
Yeah...if it was me, this paint shop would either be buying all of the necessary hardware themselves & putting this back together, or they would be a getting a bill for my time and materials....Have you paid them already?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The OP had it painted and when I asked him why things looked they they were missing/slammed together he told me the story. So no clue if it was if they lost the original hardware or if it didn't want to come apart. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
945 Posts
The OP had it painted and when I asked him why things looked they they were missing/slammed together he told me the story. So no clue if it was if they lost the original hardware or if it didn't want to come apart. Thanks for the advice.
All those torx type jeep screws OEM are crazy expensive. ONE screw (need 6) for 00 TJ hardtop hold down is $6-8.00 at stealership. The rectangular nut? Forgetta bout it....$5.00!! OMFG, Good luck!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Use a 3/8 bolt and a wingnut for the top hardware.. You can find suitable interior Phillips screws at Dumb Zone

·
Registered
945 Posts
Use a 3/8 bolt and a wingnut for the top hardware.. You can find suitable interior Phillips screws at Dumb Zone
Obviously you don't care, however I like to use OEM hardware unless it's just no longer available. Just anal I guess. Given that, of course I'd be thoroughly pissed off if what was on my Jeep when I dropped it off to be "fixed" by the "experts" was deep 6ed!!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Obviously you don't care, however I like to use OEM hardware unless it's just no longer available. Just anal I guess. Given that, of course I'd be thoroughly pissed off if what was on my Jeep when I dropped it off to be "fixed" by the "experts" was deep 6ed!!
You obviously haven't seen up close pics of my rig...my buddies clown me all the time about how my rig looks like its never seen dirt..I'm way to OCD with it..

IF you bothered to look Autozone and other parts stores have black OEM style hardware available as an OEM replacement. No one said put an ugly ass galvanized screw in the middle of your dash..When I did my interior paint,dash, etc, I used all new, un-marred screws in the interior.

If you want pretty for hard top fasteners, order a set of stainless button head screws and polish them up to replace the OEM black TORX. The wingnuts go under the rail and NO ONE will ever know that they are there.. They are much easier to deal with than the square nuts from the factory.

OP..be advised that JEEP uses a particular thread pitch on most of its fasteners, I can say that the roll bar and seat fasteners are certainly that way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts