Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
So Impicked up an '11 jk sport a few days back
great rig for sure, but when I open the doors I get no lights
I am fully aware of the dial on blinker switch that dims the dash/controls speaker bar illumination.

I click the dial all the way to the top and NOTHING
I can however manually push button the lights themselves and they work.

any ideas as to where I can start?
door connections seem fine and the fusebox isn't helping

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I would try dialing the turn signal ring the other way. Perhaps you're turning it the wrong way.

The lights working when you push the button to turn them on manually is indicative to there being no issues with receiving power (the fuse is fine).

If you have manual everything else (windows, mirrors, etc.) in your Jeep, check to ensure that the harness is plugged in coming off of the doors

good luck

Exco

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
When I bought my 2011, I had a broken wire at the harness connector. It was the purple wire, I think. Once I fixed that connection, everything worked properly.

What mine did was, when the passenger door was open, the dome light came on, and I got the "Door Ajar" warning on the dash. When the driver door was open, nothing illuminated. I didn't have a headlight or key in ignition warning chime, and the radio wouldn't automatically turn off when the door was open. Fixing that one wire fixed all of that.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you for the replys yall
pretty sure I'm effed here and have an elec issue
I'm familiar with the way this unit works since my wifes '11 grand Cherokee has the same columb.

its just weird that you can manually turn on the domes but nothing when switch is activated or door opens.

I cleaned and rechecked harnesses
messed around with fuses a little to see

but at night when I open the door to go somewhere, I cant even find my way to the ignition in complete darkness.....

killing me softly, and yes I presume my next trip is to the dealer....

·
Registered
228 Posts
I did see another JK (not mine) where the left stalk was faulty. The turn signals wouldn't work most of the time, but they'd work if you'd tap or wiggle the switch.

I would carefully test all of the functions of the left stalk. Both turn signals, high and low beams, flash-to-pass, auto and fog lamps (if you have those), and parking lights.

With the lights on and ignition on, check if rotating the wheel makes the instrument cluster backlighting get brighter and dimmer.

With the key on and lights off, look at the mileage and gear position display. Should be bright. If you turn the lights on, it should be dimmer. But if you rotate the dimmer/domelight wheel to the second-from-top position, the mileage should go bright again.

Try turning on the dome light while tapping or wiggling the switch. Maybe release the tilt-wheel lever and try moving the wheel quickly up and down, letting it lightly "bang" at its upper and lower limits, just to shake up the steering column a little.

Testing the dash dimmer and the mileage bright/dim feature should at least give you some indication as to whether the adjustment wheel is working properly.

If you believe the left stalk is bad, if I remember right, it's around a $75 part, three screws to take off the steering column shroud, and then two or three screws to replace the switch. You'll need Torx tools, and if the two recessed column shroud screws are Torx (some are), it must be a handheld Torx screwdriver---a bit set and bit holder will be too big to fit.

You should also test the door-ajar switches, as follows:

---With the driver door open, engine off, and key in ignition, do you get the key warning chime?

---When shutting the engine off, does the radio keep playing like it should? Does it shut off like it should when you open the door?

---If you have power door locks, try to lock them using the door-panel switch while the key is on and the door is open. (They're supposed to only work when the doors are closed, if the key is in/on.)

---If you have an alarm system, see if you can trigger it. Test each door, one by one like this. Leave the windows open, close all doors, and lock with the keyless entry. Wait 30 seconds. Without using the key, reach inside the window and open the door, as if you were "breaking in." The alarm should sound and the lights should flash. Disarm the alarm, close all doors again, and repeat the same test with all the other door(s).

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
this is the most dumb fukkinest problem ever,
still cant believe there are no under dash lights I mean my '87 wrangler had those for godsake...

andejo, I just did everything and all checks out ok.

time to go get anally raped by the dealer..

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Personally, the lack of lighting in the cargo area was annoying. I picked up this cool light from Raxiom

Super easy to install in less than 5 minutes and provides a huge amount of light when you lift the hard top glass. Here's my review and install if you're interested.

Reactions: stumpbuster

·
Registered
316 Posts
After I installed my radio I got/still have an issue where everything works except trying to turn on dash lights without the headlights.

Turning the dimmer knob all the way turns on my interior cabin lights, one click back is supposed to turn on only dash, and then after that it's supposed to shut off dash lights and control the dash light brightness when head lights get turned on.

Let me know what the dealer says. I'm interested.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok thanks a lot for the replies yall

·
Registered
7 Posts
Having a similar issue with my 2011 JK. The only way to get the dome lights to work is to manually press the buttons on them. When I open the door they don't turn on and when I use the signal switch they don't turn on. I've had a co-worker look at them, and we've determined that power is getting to the lights. Also, when I open each door the jeep knows that each door is open. One last trick I tried from this forum, is to manually turn the light on, then leave the car for 5 minutes. The dome light does shut off after 5 minutes and works properly when I open the door. However then they just stay on. Also tried disconnecting the battery. Nothing has worked. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had similar issues with my 2012 a few years ago. Dome lights were acting funky and it took more effort than normal to activate my blinkers. Dealer replaced the blinker wand (whatever it's called) under warranty and all issues were fixed and haven't returned.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dammit. Not what I wanted to hear as mine is out of warranty. I'm thinking that it is something near there or there that is causing the issue since everything from the door to the light has been tested.

·
Registered
7 Posts
One other aspect of this, that I hadn't thought of before I posted, the lights also do not come on when I open the doors or remotely open them. So it isn't just the turn signal that isn't working. Not sure if anyone else has had anything similar happen. Or perhaps if anyone has any knowledge of where else I can look for a possible issue. Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry to keep reaching out. One last thing I wanted to run by anyone whom has experienced this domelight issue. As I mentioned, the light itself is getting power. The jeep knows when each door is open as that info shows up on the instrument cluster. The domelights manually work. I noticed yesterday that I could purchase a working condition turn signal on ebay. With what I have described, I'm wondering if anyone would think it would be fairly reasonable that my issue has to be the turn signal? Thanks again to anyone that can offer any thoughts.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Sorry to keep reaching out. One last thing I wanted to run by anyone whom has experienced this domelight issue. As I mentioned, the light itself is getting power. The jeep knows when each door is open as that info shows up on the instrument cluster. The domelights manually work. I noticed yesterday that I could purchase a working condition turn signal on ebay. With what I have described, I'm wondering if anyone would think it would be fairly reasonable that my issue has to be the turn signal? Thanks again to anyone that can offer any thoughts.

It's possible, I guess.

I wouldn't mess with a "working condition" switch from ebay when you can get a brand new multifunction switch for $60 from Rock Auto.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's possible, I guess.

I wouldn't mess with a "working condition" switch from ebay when you can get a brand new multifunction switch for $60 from Rock Auto.
Oh wow, good to know. I'll look there. Thanks! I really don't wanna take it to the dealer and pay big money. So I guess the switch is the way to go for now.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts