Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Jeep Flip-Ur-Top Commercial Member
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've researched many of the interior storage threads here, looking for ideas on utilizing the area on top of the wheel wells. I've found ammo cans mounted there, but I might be looking for something perhaps a little longer than that. I also saw the locking storage/speaker boxes that can be mounted up there…that’s kind of what I’m looking for (minus the speakers) but they were high $$$.

I could probably draw something up & get it fabricated, but first I thought I would ask for ideas (homemade or purchased) here.

Does anyone have pictures or ideas they'd like to share for what they’ve used for a sturdy, lockable storage box that mounts above the wheel wells? All ideas welcome!

Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
565 Posts
how about putting some tool boxes up there?...they can be had in many sizes and materials

·
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how about putting some tool boxes up there?...they can be had in many sizes and materials
Thanks....I've actually been looking around at tool boxes, and may have to dig a little deeper into it. I do know that I want to keep them close to the same height as the rails for the soft top.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I was thinking about a 40mm ammo can. Cutting the bottom couple inches off it so its the same height as the soft top rail and then either using L brackets to attach it or weld a new bottom on it

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
Whatever container you choose, I would recommend that the hinge be on the long side of the box. Tuffy designed their boxes this way because it allows for easier access when the hard top is on.

I had the modern style .50 cal cans on the wheel wells and found them difficult to use even without a top because of the lid design. The cage and seat belts don't allow the lid to open all the way. These WWII era cans with the side hinge are a much better compromise.

Also, leave 2" between the tub and box so that the soft top frame can still fold down. Tuffy does it this way as well.

·
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Whatever container you choose, I would recommend that the hinge be on the long side of the box. Tuffy designed their boxes this way because it allows for easier access when the hard top is on.

I had the modern style .50 cal cans on the wheel wells and found them difficult to use even without a top because of the lid design. The cage and seat belts don't allow the lid to open all the way. These WWII era cans with the side hinge are a much better compromise.

Also, leave 2" between the tub and box so that the soft top frame can still fold down. Tuffy does it this way as well.
It looks like I may have to decide between fabricating a custom design box or finding the right ammo can. Thanks for the suggestions so far!

·
Registered
565 Posts
It looks like I may have to decide between fabricating a custom design box or finding the right ammo can. Thanks for the suggestions so far!
what type of stuff do you plan on putting in these storage containers?

the type/weight of the objects being stored will kind of dictate what type of material the storage container is made from

for example I keep my tow/tug/tree saver straps, flashlight, and a first aid kit in a canvas bag that's strapped onto the rear fenderwell, but I don't think I would put any heavy/sharp tools or axle components in one

·
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1 - 15 of 15 Posts