Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started having issues with the starter or relay? I stick my key in the ignition and get nothing except dash lights. I cleaned my battery terminals, lead to alternator, small wire leading into starter. I swapped around the fuse bus and relays to starter. I even put the fuse in to bypass the NSS on the clutch and that did not work. The strange thing is it is intermittant. I can pull up and it wont start, I let sit for 30 minutes and it cranks right over. I try it 2 or three times in a row and on the fourth its like there is no power. Any ideas?

This is for a 2003 wrangler sport 4.0 I6. No check engine light is on.

thanks for any input.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Are any other lights on your dash on when it won't start?

When we had a bad starter, it would blow the fuse, and then set the air bag light.

We took our's in under warrantee work, and they replaced the starter.

Navy-Jeepster

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Normal lights come on and go off like normal, no check engine light. Radio, lights and all other acc. appear to function like normal. I have have had other starters go out but not like this. They would usually click or slow down. Not like this one,,,start then drive around, come home and try to restart and have nothing.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
You haven't jump started anyone recently have you? Seems like several others have had problems with CPU's, starters, light's on dash, after giving someone a jump start. This would really be weird if this was related.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took starter off and had tested, turned out to be good. The positive to the starter looked to have have some corosion so I cleaned that up and reinstalled. So far everything is great, even have a better voltage return on my voltometer on the dash.
Thanks for all the great feed back.... Just got my first wrangler 3 weeks ago, hopefully this is the only curve I get thrown....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts