Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

New to the forum but would really appreciate some help.

I have a 2011 Jeep Wrangler. She's been running just fine since day one and has about 65,000km on it now. Until today, when I stopped at a red light and heard a crash sound (it sounds like a bag of garbage being dropped on the floor. I know this is an odd comparison but that's what I sounded like.) but there was a bus traveling the other way and I thought maybe the bus had just run something over. So I keep driving and stop at a stop light and I heard it again. Kept driving to work and when I stopped I heard it again. It only ever seems to make the noise while in drive but stopped. Anyone have any ideas or similar situations?

Thanks in advance. Look forward to your responses.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Guys,

Thanks so much for the help. The sound is definitely coming from the front. It seems to only do it while holding the brake at a stop sign/ light.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Back seat folded,
gravel in skid plate,
wife's junk in glove box,
loose change under carpet,
water inside freedom panels,
water inside bumper,
air inside heater core,
forget something on engine,
legos under seats,
squirrels nesting...that's all I can think of

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestions but I don't think any of those things are the cause of this noise. It doesn't make the sound WHILE stoping so its not caused by any forward momentum. It only makes the noise after being stopped for a few seconds.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Does it sound like a thump? Maybe a blend door closing in the heater area? Does it do it with the a/c-heater on? Does it sound like it's inside or outside the jeep?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Does it sound like aluminum cans? Check your heat shields on exhaust manifolds. Check brake caliper bolts and shields located behind calipers. Check drive shafts for debris wrapped around it. If your stopped if something is wrapped on the shaft it may still spin unwinding itself and slapping your undercarriage or firewall?

·
Registered
152 Posts
could it be the cooling fan kicking on or a/c compressor kicking on? does it happen within a similar period of time after you have stopped? or do sometimes it needs to sit for longer than other times before you hear the noise?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts