Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The horn on my 98 TJ works intermittently. More accurately it usually doesn't work the first 4 or 5 times you press the horn, then it usually starts working.

I replaced the horn cover with a used unit of ebag but it made no difference. I suppose the replacement horn cover could have the same issue.

Any suggestions on what else it could be?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
okay, I should say I replaced the horn button cover (on the steering wheel), but no change. Any ideas what else might cause the horn to not work the first few times you try it?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
There are a number of things it could be but since it's intermittent, I would try another horn if you have one handy or maybe put a test light or volt meter at the connection at the horn and have someone operate the button to see if you are getting voltage to the horn, even when it does not work. If you have voltage when the button is engaged, I would say the horn. If not, try swapping the horn relay with a different matching relay in the under hood fuse box. Also could be a loose connection, loose ground (can't remember if the plug at the horn is one wire or two) or the clock spring although since it's intermittent, I wouldn't really expect it to be the clock spring.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts