Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the long post. Ok, I have a 2011 JK Sport 6-speed with 40K miles. Here's the problem. Sometimes it starts and sometimes it doesn't. No rhyme or reason. Whether it is cold or hot it seems. Sometimes when turning the key, the engine cranks but it doesn't completely start.

The first time this happened a couple of weeks ago in my garage, I called AAA and they replaced the battery. After the battery replacement I had the same intermittent problem. I brought it to the dealer and they could not replicate the issue. It always started when they tried. They said the battery was fine, fuel pump was fine and the starter was fine. They did run an OBD II scanner and found that the Wireless Ignition (WIN) Module was returning an error code. They replaced the Wireless Ignition (WIN) Module and re-programmed my two keys for ~$500. I drive the Jeep home.

Seven days later, I get the no start issue again! It cranks but no running engine. Sigh. I had AAA tow it to another shop to get a second opinion. Sure enough the second shop said they cannot replicate the issue after 2 days. It always starts when they try. I pick up the Jeep and go home.

Once I got home, I research online and read about resetting the J13 Ignition Off Draw (IOD) fuse. The Jeep is parked in my garage now and I try to start it and again, it cranks but no running engine. I pull out the J13 fuse for 30 seconds and then plug it back in. Tried starting the engine, it works this time! I guess it's a small victory but I feel like I'm driving a time bomb now. Next time this happens, I can try pulling the J13 fuse so I can get home and not be stranded?

Any ideas what could be my issue here? I can't have an unreliable vehicle like this be my daily driver. I can't be left stranded and keep calling AAA for a tow to a shop.

·
Registered
669 Posts
check your fuel pump.. it could be either low pressure or a bad connection..

could also be just worn out.

that would be my first place to look .. if the motor cranks the battery is good.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
check your fuel pump.. it could be either low pressure or a bad connection..

could also be just worn out.

that would be my first place to look .. if the motor cranks the battery is good.
Thanks for the response. The next time this happens and I have to bring it to a shop, I'll have them check out or replace the fuel pump. Keeping my fingers crossed!

·
Registered
669 Posts
Thanks for the response. The next time this happens and I have to bring it to a shop, I'll have them check out or replace the fuel pump. Keeping my fingers crossed!

if your fuel pump is failing or running low pressure you should be able to check that at any time,
issue is if it is a intermittent issue you may only see it when the issue arises..
you can do a very inexpensive fuel pressure gauge so that you can see the fuel pressure while you start and while you drive it..
a temp setup to diagnose the condition might be the only way to find it..

good luck. that sure sounds like a PITA to get it figured out

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a 14 with a similar issue. Only 6000 km or 4000 miles ish. Their is a tsb from Jeep for a camshaft position sensor could be that as well.

I would say it's either spark or fuel related.

Ignition\ timing is more intermittent than fuel from my experience.

Mine is going to the dealer this weekend

·
Registered
456 Posts
Not sure if it applies to the 3.8L motor but apparently there are some fuel pump relay issues with at least some 3.6L models that would require a TIPM replacement or relay replacement if you are handy. You can check for that using a bypass cable to bypass the fuel pump relay and pull power from another source.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Could it be adding an additional ground to the battery? I had to add a ground strap from the battery to the bolt on the alternator.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Sad to say the wcm is an ongoing issue. I see you have had it replaced and keys reprogramed. The common fix for most have been the reset. Locate the white J13 fuse relay and pull up. It will pop up not all the way out. Keep it up for 60 seconds and push back down. You have reset the wcm. This is usually a fix. The tipm on these JKs have been a nightmare.

Since the reset worked for you hopefully that's it. If it continues than I would demand a tipm replacement. Best of luck.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sad to say the wcm is an ongoing issue. I see you have had it replaced and keys reprogramed. The common fix for most have been the reset. Locate the white J13 fuse relay and pull up. It will pop up not all the way out. Keep it up for 60 seconds and push back down. You have reset the wcm. This is usually a fix. The tipm on these JKs have been a nightmare.

Since the reset worked for you hopefully that's it. If it continues than I would demand a tipm replacement. Best of luck.
I know I would demand it. What good is it to have your Jeep leave you stranded somewhere, even though you know how to reset your computer, who the hell wants to do that, and have the traffic driving by the "failed Jeep".

NO WAY.

I've been coming here to try and get tips ahead of time, when I do get my Jeep, so I can kind of know what to expect, since FCA has left these unresolved issues out there.

·
Registered
669 Posts
That fixed it for me.

you must have either a broken or damaged ground cable that should be attached to the block ..
also or a damaged ground from the motor to chassis cable..

having to add a ground from the battery to the alternator aka motor is not normal. there is still a problem in the system somewhere..

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Sorry for the long post. Ok, I have a 2011 JK Sport 6-speed with 40K miles. Here's the problem. Sometimes it starts and sometimes it doesn't. No rhyme or reason. Whether it is cold or hot it seems. Sometimes when turning the key, the engine cranks but it doesn't completely start.

The first time this happened a couple of weeks ago in my garage, I called AAA and they replaced the battery. After the battery replacement I had the same intermittent problem. I brought it to the dealer and they could not replicate the issue. It always started when they tried. They said the battery was fine, fuel pump was fine and the starter was fine. They did run an OBD II scanner and found that the Wireless Ignition (WIN) Module was returning an error code. They replaced the Wireless Ignition (WIN) Module and re-programmed my two keys for ~$500. I drive the Jeep home.

Seven days later, I get the no start issue again! It cranks but no running engine. Sigh. I had AAA tow it to another shop to get a second opinion. Sure enough the second shop said they cannot replicate the issue after 2 days. It always starts when they try. I pick up the Jeep and go home.

Once I got home, I research online and read about resetting the J13 Ignition Off Draw (IOD) fuse. The Jeep is parked in my garage now and I try to start it and again, it cranks but no running engine. I pull out the J13 fuse for 30 seconds and then plug it back in. Tried starting the engine, it works this time! I guess it's a small victory but I feel like I'm driving a time bomb now. Next time this happens, I can try pulling the J13 fuse so I can get home and not be stranded?

Any ideas what could be my issue here? I can't have an unreliable vehicle like this be my daily driver. I can't be left stranded and keep calling AAA for a tow to a shop.

the relay in your fuel pump is probably going
try this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcV5oAF1hM0

TIPM Repair & Bypass Solutions for 2007-2014 Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep/VW Vehicles

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am having similar problem with my 2007 JK. When it's cold, it starts. Sometimes when it's warm, it cranks but won't start. If I wait like 30 minutes, it will crank and start (with my foot on the gas), but it has a strong exhaust smell. When it cranks, but won't start I can hear the fuel pump start up (so don't think it's the pump). Some people think it's a pump issue, but I doubt it (pumps don't just stop working every once in a while). Likely not pump relay (because I hear it click and hear the pump going). Some people think it's a bad ECU.... StormtrooperJK, what was the ultimate issue with your Jeep?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts