Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most days my 04 wrangler x starts and runs perfect. For the last 3 days it will not start. Last week it was at the chrysler shop. It didnt start for them. they were able to get a "no bus" code when the jeep wouldnt start. I"m unable to get the same code in the odometer doing the "key dance"

I have noticed when it will not start I do not hear the fuel pump cut on, and the volt and fuel gauge is dead on the dash cluster. After cranking for 10 seconds the fuel light on the dash comes on followed by the CEL shortly after. I've checked the fuel relay in the fuse box under the hood and it is fine.

I've been told the "crankshaft sensor" "camshaft sensor" or an "02 sensor" could cause this problem from one of the mechanics but since they were getting a "no bus" code he couldn't help narrow it down. Also said I could need a new ECU.

The radio and all other elcetronics work fine when this occurs so I'm not sure were to start looking for this gremlin. Could this be a problem in the ignition in the stearing column or a ground wire shorting out? I'm baffled it can start and run great one day and the next not start at all.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok it started up when I got home this afternoon. At first the idle was hung on 2k I cut the jeep off and it started right back up to normal idle speed and is idling perfect as we speak. So it seems it will start when the weather is decently warm 45 degrees. And will not start when its 20 degrees. Any ideas????

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
few ideas it MIGHT be. i had a blazer that would run fine then sometimes just die n not start for a while. it was the ignition switch that had went bad. also a bad crank sensor will keep the engine from firing. and a cam sensor will also jack things up to.

the next time it wont start i would check for spark and fuel pressure.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I know this is going to sound silly, but the first thing I would do is clean the battery terminals. My 99 does this from time to time and it is always the damn connections on the battery.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
ok mine was doing this to i dont know if this will fix yours but the no bus is your cluster. 3 ways to fix this. 1. hit the top of your dash. this may fix it for a short while. 2. push on the clear screen on the cluster. again may or may not fix it. 3. the more professional way. (but wheres the fun in that?) take your cluster out and take off the 3 plugs, clean them and put it back together. As for the jeep not starting i had the same issue i messed with the battery cables and somehow it fixed it and now i havent had any issues for 2 weeks now.... gotta love jeeps!!

·
Registered
230 Posts
My battery terminal connectors build up a shilac of sorts, I pull them off, hit them with a wire brush and its fine for weeks. I tried a spray product that is supposed to prevent this, however it didnt work for crap.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
My battery terminal connectors build up a shilac of sorts, I pull them off, hit them with a wire brush and its fine for weeks. I tried a spray product that is supposed to prevent this, however it didnt work for crap.
i need to hit mine with a wire brush also... but kinda scared to mess with it since its not acting up now lol

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lol....well the only thing the shop was able to do is clean the battery cables for me. I was outside at 11:30. Last night pressing and beating the cluster like it stole something!! The button on the steering column to unlock the key is broke and I've never had to use it my thought is something around there in the column is starting to act up. Just a guess though. Next move will be both sensors crank and cam.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Lol....well the only thing the shop was able to do is clean the battery cables for me. I was outside at 11:30. Last night pressing and beating the cluster like it stole something!! The button on the steering column to unlock the key is broke and I've never had to use it my thought is something around there in the column is starting to act up. Just a guess though. Next move will be both sensors crank and cam.

i would still check for fuel and spark.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does ours have the valve on the fuel rails? I didn't pay attention to it this afternoon. Also give me a quick way or the way to check for spark. Im new and still learning on the whole jeep thing! Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
im about 90% sure it does. its called a "schrader valve"

for spark, pull the distribution rail off the sparkplugs, remove one spark plug and but into the boot that it goes in. (like the front spark plug oes in the front boot on the rail) ground the plug and have someone turn the motor over. repeat to all plugs. OR leave it all together and try and start it. then remove the rail and plus and see if they are "wet"

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
UPDATE: seems like this is a cold weather related problem? It was about 31 degrees this morning, it flutters like if I gave it some gas it would start. Gas and volt gauge were working fine, and then nothing. Both gauges died again and it went back to just cranking. Its supposed to be around 55 this afternoon. If it fires up fine I will be convinced that its weather related. Anyone experience this before?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I forgot to add this. When it started yesterday I let it idle for 45 minutes and it was smooth as silk and I didn't move the jeep one inch in the driveway. I wanted to add this info for someone who may think its a wire shorting or something?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
UPDATE: seems like this is a cold weather related problem? It was about 31 degrees this morning, it flutters like if I gave it some gas it would start. Gas and volt gauge were working fine, and then nothing. Both gauges died again and it went back to just cranking. Its supposed to be around 55 this afternoon. If it fires up fine I will be convinced that its weather related. Anyone experience this before?
did it start this afternoon? i would think it might be an EGR problem if it acts up during weather changes. but that doesnt explain the gauge problems... keep updates

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah man fired right up this afternoon on the first try. I've been driving it all afternoon. Made a couple stops here and there and it fired everytime. This problem has to be simple didn't it???

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Yeah man fired right up this afternoon on the first try. I've been driving it all afternoon. Made a couple stops here and there and it fired everytime. This problem has to be simple didn't it???

hhmmm is it throwing any codes when it wont start? ik a bd EGR valve will cause it to run rough when it is cold/rainy/hot out but idk about keeping it from firing. i guess my ?'s are

do you have codes when it wont start?
have you checked for the spark and fuel when it wont start?

the only way IN MY EYES you are goin to be able to track the problem down is to look for it when its not starting (when the problem is showing its colors)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nope no codes at all. the bad thing is when it does it, its usually around 5 in the morning lol. Call me crazy but im going to cover the front tonight with a cover to see if it makes a difference in the morning.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts