Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter just got her hands on a 98 TJ. She just recently noticed that on occasion the turn signals didn't work. She turned on the hazards to see if they worked (they did) and then the turn signals would work again. She says it only happens every now and then. So when her turn signals don't work she just turns on the hazards momentarily and the turn signals begin to work again. Any ideas?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
The turn signals are notorious for bad grounds causing problems. My left signal would stop working and the lights would just stay on constantly. I found that the left front light socket was corroded. I scraped it clean with a screwdriver and haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I just fixed this problem. I put a new switch in first, didn't fix it so I bought a new relay and that did the trick.

I had to order it online, the ones at autozone weren't right.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just had the same issue. Paid a small fortune to replace the turn signal stalk. Two days later they were intermittent again. Replaced the flasher module in the steering column and it worked.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I would say make sure the lights are grounded properly before throwing parts at it… The lights are grounded through the screws that hold the light to the body tub… I backed out the screws, and then cleaned them with a wire brush, and put some cheap dielectric grease on them and put them back. Have worked great since the fix.

I will admit, I have the safari style light guards which are notorious for causing this issue, but this fix has lasted over a year.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The sockets are known to get loose. Try wiggling the bulb and see if it works again, if it does you can bend the terminals in to try to tighten them against the bulb, or you may need to replace the socket.
If the sockets are OK, the next thing to check would be the grounds (as someone else already stated).
From there check the flasher, relay, and combination switch.
Start with the small stuff, it's cheaper, and on a Jeep, also the most likely!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts