Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i recently purchased a internatioal 345 v8 and transmission for $200, any how seeing how my 95 yj (with the 2.5l) needs a new tranny i figured i would go all out. So i was wondering if anyone else has done this and if anyone could give me a few pointer. I really need to know if i can use the stock transfer case and axles i am regearing the diffs to 4.10s but i need to know if they will hold up. i am very mechanically inclined, acutally im am currently in college for diesel mechanics, any how i would appericate any advice and insite you guys may have.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
So you are replacing a boat anchor with another boat anchor?

I hate to burst your bubble, but you wuill get more power out of a 4.3L GM v6 TBI or Vortec...

Your 95 YJ with a stock 2.5 came from the factory with a 4.10 ratio.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I think it would be cheaper to fix your tranny than to buy all the adapters/motor mounts and deal with the clearance issues of the corn binder engine...from what I remember with the IH v8's look wide?But it's your time..and your will...any things possible.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well you see i been looking for a project anyway, and the extra power will help turn the 35s. plus i was lookin at a cj7 with a amc 403 i beleive and the looked about the same

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So you are replacing a boat anchor with another boat anchor?

I hate to burst your bubble, but you wuill get more power out of a 4.3L GM v6 TBI or Vortec...

Your 95 YJ with a stock 2.5 came from the factory with a 4.10 ratio.
i wouldn't agree with that, plus the engine was known for serious power...the used them in the scout....and btw jeep axle ratios ranged form 3.07:1 to 4.10:1

·
Registered
199 Posts
redgreenfan5 said:
....and btw jeep axle ratios ranged form 3.07:1 to 4.10:1
They sure did, but the 2.5l you specified ranged from 4.10:1 to 4.10:1

·
Registered
1 Posts
ok so i recently purchased a internatioal 345 v8 and transmission for $200, any how seeing how my 95 yj (with the 2.5l) needs a new tranny i figured i would go all out. So i was wondering if anyone else has done this and if anyone could give me a few pointer. I really need to know if i can use the stock transfer case and axles i am regearing the diffs to 4.10s but i need to know if they will hold up. i am very mechanically inclined, acutally im am currently in college for diesel mechanics, any how i would appericate any advice and insite you guys may have.
Although unconventional, the 'binder motor works well in a Jeep.
I put one in my 79 cj5. Yes it is HEAVY, I also had to use the T-19/Dana 20
that came with it. There is alot of fabricating involved and the fit is tight.
As for axles, I use scout d44's. I ran it for a while on the stockers and
They seemed to hold up, this was with 33' Ground Hawgs on them, and
3.54 gears. So it can be done.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
i wouldn't agree with that, plus the engine was known for serious power...the used them in the scout....and btw jeep axle ratios ranged form 3.07:1 to 4.10:1
You can disagree all you want.

Your comparing old tech with newer tech, and that Binder motor doesn't have the same power a more modern Injected 4.3L has....
Any 70's emissions laden truck motor will never get the power a Injected motor will get, even if the injected motor is a 6 cylinder...

Regardless, ALL 4 cylinder YJs came with the 4:10 axle ratios, so stating the wide variety of ratios all Jeeps have is kinda dumb...

·
Registered
16,641 Posts
Old thread is Old.. Not sure why 2xs is trying to start something with a guy who posted a comment 3 weeks or so ago

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Old thread is Old.. Not sure why 2xs is trying to start something with a guy who posted a comment 3 weeks or so ago
ihcjeep replied YESTERDAY (as of this post), i got the e-mail and replied....

L2 Read...

YJ 4cyl, Auto 3.73???
Do the autos come with 3:73? odd, I didnt know that, probably because I hate the 3 speed autos so I dont pay attention to them... Retrofit with an AX-15 or NV3550/5.7L

·
Registered
717 Posts
I find that too

Amazed at how often I think I know the entire answer and find out I only know part of the question/information.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts