Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking into regearing my axles on my 2.5L 5speed YJ with the D30/D35 combo, but have been thinking about investing in a stronger rear axle like a 8.8 or D44, I don’t plan on wheeling it too hard, so it’s going to be my daily driver. Should I still invest in a new axle and then do new gears? Or keep the D35 and regear that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
If you are not going to wheel it you dont need anything stronger than the turdyfive especially with the 2.5. If you actually wheeled the jeep the 8.8 would be a cheap option for an upgrade.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I did the 8.8/rebuilt d30 axle swap and it has been a lifesaver for my 93 YJ. It was crazy to drive because of prior owners doing crappy work and now it is solid as a rock. I got lucky and found a fellow jeeper who works at a Jeep shop that was selling his front and rear to switch to Rubicon axles. It was already set up for a RE 4.5" lift so all I had to do was remove and replace. I do think I need to have my rear shock mounts adjusted and rewelded onto the axle. They seem a little short.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did the 8.8/rebuilt d30 axle swap and it has been a lifesaver for my 93 YJ. It was crazy to drive because of prior owners doing crappy work and now it is solid as a rock. I got lucky and found a fellow jeeper who works at a Jeep shop that was selling his front and rear to switch to Rubicon axles. It was already set up for a RE 4.5" lift so all I had to do was remove and replace. I do think I need to have my rear shock mounts adjusted and rewelded onto the axle. They seem a little short.

Nice, are you running a SYE? And what gearing on your yj

·
Registered
929 Posts
If you are not going to wheel it you don't need anything stronger than the turdyfive especially with the 2.5. If you actually wheeled the jeep the 8.8 would be a cheap option for an upgrade.
Agreed...

Gearing depends on tire size you plan on running.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’m picking up a 8.8 rear from an explorer, then regearing to 5.13, 2.5L 5speed 33s

·
Registered
81 Posts
I used the same driveshaft that came in it when I purchased the Jeep. It already had the double cardon end and the slip in the middle. The guy I got my axles from gave me a Tom Woods drive shaft but for some reason it was too long to go in. I'll gladly sell it if it works for someone else. I had 4Wheel Parts do an alignment on it once we got done and it drives nice and straight. I have a little vibration up around 65 or so but I think it's in the tires.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Dude I've wheeled the absolute piss out of a 4.0 5-speed YJ on 33s with a stock Dana 35 under it since 2007

Avoid being the dumbass that floors it when it stops moving forward and makes it bounce and you can do a LOT of wheeling w a 35

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dude I've wheeled the absolute piss out of a 4.0 5-speed YJ on 33s with a stock Dana 35 under it since 2007

Avoid being the dumbass that floors it when it stops moving forward and makes it bounce and you can do a LOT of wheeling w a 35

So a d30/d35 with 5.13 is good enough for daily driving? 2.5L 5speed 33s

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Absolutely...

Now add a locker and make poor decisions offroad and you CAN break it but I regularly bark tires on pavement on a 1-2 shift w 33's and my 30/35...

·
Registered
929 Posts
So a d30/d35 with 5.13 is good enough for daily driving? 2.5L 5speed 33s
Yes... 5.13's is a great choice with 2.5, 5 spd, and 33's

Reactions: Yjalex
1 - 15 of 15 Posts