Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 04 tj 2.4 has gave me issues with the IOD circuit since I bought it last fall. The 50 am fuse is fine, but when I put in the 10amp I think it's labeled as accessory2 the dash illuminates regardless of the switch position and won't turn off, then if I put it the fuse for the door switches which should complete the circuit for the interior lights they don't come on but my high beam indicator on the dash blinks and it beeps at me but only with the driver side door open (the head lights are in the off position) I get nothing when the passenger door is open. Also don't have power to my obdll port. This seems oddly specific. The previous owner had the gauge cluster replaced right before I bought it because the odometer went to all 8s. Any idea what's going on here.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Are you sure the PO replaced the cluster with the correct one?

I’m not sure what changes were made from year to year but everything seems to be cluster related except the OBDII port. That makes me think maybe wrong cluster or somehow mis wired.

Here is the circuit. Start at the beginning from the fuse & see where you have 12v & maybe where you don’t. Check under hood light then dome lights then courtesy lights then cluster & data port. That should start to isolate where the problem may be.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK so I have power at the Underhood light plug. Under the dash right after the pdc connector where the harness spits off in different directions I found the pink/white wire spliced with a solid yellow. When disconnected from one another the dome lights come on and the cluster lighting up constantly goes away but the dome lights stay on even with the doors closed, also the beeping and flashing highbeam icon issue is gone. The spliced pink/white and yellow wire run down the bottom length of the dash towards the passenger side. I can't seem to find the other ends of the wires, not sure if they'd be running up to the cluster or under the driver side door. And up the roll bar to the dome lights.

Any idea what that solid yellow runs to or why they would have done this?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked all visible grounds I could find, honestly electrical isn't something I have much experience with. The little I do know is from learning from dealing with issues I've come across which have mainly been stereo related.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
The yellow comes from the cluster & is the “other” wire to the dome/courtesy lights which is the ground & controlled in the cluster which also has the key in & doors open circuits. Here is the diagram for that part of the circuit. It is a bit confusing the way it is diagrammed but follow the yellow wire starting with the cluster more or less in the middle of the page.

It is possible this was done because the cluster functions are bad in your cluster. Otherwise it makes no sense to connect the 2 sides of the circuit together.

It may also simply be a problem where one of the door switches is shorted to ground causing the lights to stay on.

I know you said the PO replaced the cluster so that may play into this but still don't see why it was connected like that.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts