Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Love my new 2011 Sahara. Got the cool media center w uconnect. No problem with using the phone as a phone but when I try to do streaming audio, i.e. play a podcast it plays at double speed. If I connect via cable it plays fine but I would really like to not use the cable. I also find that I have to keep unplugging and plugging the cable to make the radio recognize the Iphone when I am playing music or a podcast using the cable. Anyone else had these problems? And have you solved them?

Thanks!

·
Trying to Get Lost
1,080 Posts
I haven't tried it with the cable, but the Bluetooth playback issue is apparently due to an incompatibility with iOS 4.1. As to when (or if) it will be fixed in the future, your guess is as good as mine. Some have said that turning off the screen (locking the phone) makes the sound work correctly.

It's not the only compatibility issue. The Read/Send SMS over Bluetooth functionality doesn't work either.

They don't seem to care that you need to have two or three specific phones in order to have all of the advertised features work as expected. Everyone else is just out of luck, I guess. The fact that it's not mentioned ANYWHERE (as a matter of fact, there's a HUGE list of phones listed in the "Compatible Phones" section of the manual, but they don't mention that only 2 or 3 can make use of all the features) or by ANYONE before, during, or after the Jeep is purchased almost seems criminal to me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Make sure your iPod is not set to play 2x speed. It's a small green button on the iPod screen where you can change the setting. Mine does it once in awhile and sounds really freaky.

·
Trying to Get Lost
1,080 Posts
Make sure your iPod is not set to play 2x speed. It's a small green button on the iPod screen where you can change the setting. Mine does it once in awhile and sounds really freaky.
I don't think that's the problem, the OP is describing a known issue with the iPhone4 streaming audio over Bluetooth. I seem to have lost track of the thread that the problem was first reported in, but I'll try to find it.

·
Premium Member
3,182 Posts
At some point we as customers need to either find out about the phones ourselves or ask before purchasing.

should the salesman have said something yes, but it's just like buying a vehicle only to find out it doesn't fit in the garage. Or buying a couch that is way too big/small for the space( bought one way too small recently). As some point in time with all of this technology we as consumers have to make sure it will all work. We do it with our laptops, our wireless routers, our game systems, tvs, etc. We research and ask questions, not saying you are wrong Jeff, just playing devils advocate here.
In the meantime, call jeep and let them know they should have a list of phones that work with all features in every dealership for the customers to see and read. I'm going to try and get one as well.
One thing about this forum is I learn what I can do better, and what changes need to be made to have a better customer experience.

·
Trying to Get Lost
1,080 Posts
At some point we as customers need to either find out about the phones ourselves or ask before purchasing.

should the salesman have said something yes, but it's just like buying a vehicle only to find out it doesn't fit in the garage. Or buying a couch that is way too big/small for the space( bought one way too small recently). As some point in time with all of this technology we as consumers have to make sure it will all work. We do it with our laptops, our wireless routers, our game systems, tvs, etc. We research and ask questions, not saying you are wrong Jeff, just playing devils advocate here.
In the meantime, call jeep and let them know they should have a list of phones that work with all features in every dealership for the customers to see and read. I'm going to try and get one as well.
One thing about this forum is I learn what I can do better, and what changes need to be made to have a better customer experience.
Well I'm not even suggesting that the salesman should know that kind of thing off the top of his head. That's asking a lot, considering how many phones are out there.

My beef is with whoever is responsible for the design/implementation of the Media Center systems, and to a lesser extent, its documentation.

1) You don't advertise that your unit does X when it doesn't do X.
2) You don't allow your unit to be released when it is supposed to do X but only does X twice out of 250 tries.
3) You don't compile a list of hundreds of "compatible" phones when all but 2 of those phones are only "partially" compatible ESPECIALLY when you don't specify that they are "partially" compatible.

It just feels to me like they built these MediaCenter systems to work with the phone that the designer happened to have in his pocket at the time, and then released them to the public with a list of "compatible phones" that was really just a list of Bluetooth-enabled phones they found on the internet somewhere.

I'm not angry at sales, or at the dealer. I'm just angry that Jeep would put a half-complete unit in a production vehicle.

Edit: I should also mention that I'm not just talking about the streaming audio, but the SMS "functionality" referenced in this thread: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/uconnect-oddities-67324.html

Specifically the following post:

Newest update from Uconnect: They tell me that there are only two phones that will work with the SMS Read Text function. They are the Motorola VG3 and the Motorola Droid. :9lame:

·
Trying to Get Lost
1,080 Posts
Oh and off topic: Drove by Fields BMW in Orlando this weekend, made me think PatO, lol.

·
Premium Member
3,182 Posts
I'm not angry at sales, or at the dealer. I'm just angry that Jeep would put a half-complete unit in a production vehicle.

That's why I said you were right. And that's why you need to call Jeep and tell them, believe me when I tell you these are the type of things they want to know. It has frustrated you and probably lots of other people, and this isn't what the new Chrysler is all about. Let's hope for a software update that will fix this issue.

·
The Bad Guy
23,233 Posts
Pat, do you know who makes the entertainment systems for Chrysler?

·
Banned
1,259 Posts
And I thought I was all fancy when my 09 had a audio Jack in it. Ha ha ha ha!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
But , you know... The implication from the sales materials and web was that if you had bluetooth compatibility you were good to go. When I do my voice thing and try to tell it to play a podcast I have to say "Bluetooth streaming audio." So I don't think it's unreasonable to think that if you can Bluetooth you can play podcasts, pandora, etc. as well.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Everyone here is placing the blame on Jeep. I have had an IPhone since the first iteration in '07 and I can definitely tell you that there has always been flaws and limitations with it's Bluetooth systems. I assume that if there is other compatibility issues with other phones that it's the phone maker blocking that function through software. Bluetooth is a technology standard so that means if a Jeep radio says it does texts and audio streaming then that bit in the software is turned on. Bad on you if you buy a phone with the same bit turned off. I have an IPhone 4 and I have a Jeep and I love them both! I don't expect them to get along any time soon though with all the limitations Apple puts on their product.

·
Premium Member
3,182 Posts
Everyone here is placing the blame on Jeep. I have had an IPhone since the first iteration in '07 and I can definitely tell you that there has always been flaws and limitations with it's Bluetooth systems. I assume that if there is other compatibility issues with other phones that it's the phone maker blocking that function through software. Bluetooth is a technology standard so that means if a Jeep radio says it does texts and audio streaming then that bit in the software is turned on. Bad on you if you buy a phone with the same bit turned off. I have an IPhone 4 and I have a Jeep and I love them both! I don't expect them to get along any time soon though with all the limitations Apple puts on their product.
I can't agree here, if that were the case than every phone with bluetooth capability would work with uconnect and we all know that not all phones are on the compatibility list. there are some phones that just don't work.

·
Registered
105 Posts
That's somewhat my point. If your stereo works with multiple phones the way that Bluetooth should and one type doesn't then I'd say it's that phone that doesn't. I dont care what you say that's troubleshooting at it's finest. There is different types of bluetooth protocols I.e. Voice, data and streaming audio(sort of a hybrid) and not all phones are created equal. iPhone only had voice up until recently I believe with all other features not there. To compound that there's multiple versions of Bluetooth software and if your old phone is running say version 1.0 and your brand new Jeep is running the newest (not sure what it is now) then there's a chance for issues there too. I suppose the way the protocol was programmed my partly be to blame too.

·
Trying to Get Lost
1,080 Posts
That's somewhat my point. If your stereo works with multiple phones the way that Bluetooth should and one type doesn't then I'd say it's that phone that doesn't. I dont care what you say that's troubleshooting at it's finest. There is different types of bluetooth protocols I.e. Voice, data and streaming audio(sort of a hybrid) and not all phones are created equal. iPhone only had voice up until recently I believe with all other features not there. To compound that there's multiple versions of Bluetooth software and if your old phone is running say version 1.0 and your brand new Jeep is running the newest (not sure what it is now) then there's a chance for issues there too. I suppose the way the protocol was programmed my partly be to blame too.
Of course, you're assuming that the MediaCenter units all have the latest Bluetooth software. We just don't know that. We'd also have to admit to the fact that there are only two phones in the universe that support the SMS functionality. I don't know if that's true.

·
Premium Member
3,182 Posts
I guess it can go either way, because we have been dealing with it for 3 years we really think it's the system.

To compound that there's multiple versions of Bluetooth software and if your old phone is running say version 1.0 and your brand new Jeep is running the newest (not sure what it is now) then there's a chance for issues there too.

BINGO!!!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts