Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not have a Nav system in my 2015 JKUR, but I have an iPhone 6s that has a pretty good GPS chip set. I'm looking for a Nav app that will allow me to down load maps for off roading. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Gaia gets rave reviews. From what I've seen, it is fairly intuitive.
https://www.gaiagps.com/gallery/
Unfortunately they don't have a "free" version you can try.
I run Android, with a similar app called Back Country Navigator. From all the videos and reviews I've seen, they are similar, but Gaia is more intuitive.
If that is correct, it's got to be a pretty awesome app.

Good luck!

·
Banned
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Scott! You see all the ads and when you read them each one says it's the best think since sliced bread. It's goof to have a recommendation.

·
GO STEELERS !
2,165 Posts
I paired the Gaia app with a DUEL GPS extender and downloaded them both on my iPhone. So you have the Gaia app running and the DUEL app and DUEL GPS extender running, then you have a great GPS signal. I run it on my IPHONE and IPAD when I want. You wont have a cell signal but you will have a strong GPS. Check out all the options on Youtube. There are map library as well so you can download a trail and go.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
not a great idea you have to have cell phone coverage
You download & store the maps onto your phone's memory, no cell reception is required, unless you want to download maps while on the trail.
I've always downloaded the maps ahead of time, and either downloaded KML trail files, or made my own trail "markers". Much quicker to do this when the phone has a WiFi connection. :)

If you do a YouTube search for Gaia or BCN, you'll see how this is all done.
I've run Moab, Mojave Road, and some National forests now. Very happy with the perfomance, and file size.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I bought gaia highly recommend it it has topo and satellite maps you can even download areas when you have no connection for streets I recommend Nokia here an excellent app

·
Banned
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone. I knew there had to be a solution. I'm going to do a bit more research and pull the trigger. Frankly, its no so expensive that there is much risk.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I have Gaia on my iPhone 6, but it works so much better with my iPad Air 2. It makes navigating much easier. That's my old iPhone 4 next to it. The 6 isn't much bigger, so you get an idea of the size difference.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have CoPilot with the maps downloaded for the states i know I'll be in before the trip, just in case I lose cell signal.

It doesn't have voice turn-by-turn in the free app, but i don't care, with the top down i usually can't hear much anyway.

·
Banned
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have Gaia on my iPhone 6, but it works so much better with my iPad Air 2. It makes navigating much easier. That's my old iPhone 4 next to it. The 6 isn't much bigger, so you get an idea of the size difference.

Looks great. What sort of mount is that on the iPad?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts