Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my first iPhone/smartphone. I'm looking to find good apps and tricks on how to use it. Here are some of the things I have thought of so far.

The more obvious things that come to mind. If I'm missing something please chime in.
  • make calls (I have a CB for more remote places)
  • check list, for supplies and gear
  • music - I don't have Uconnect, so I will be using some 3.5 mm (1/8") male-male cable into the AUX port.
  • finding gas stations and restaurants
  • taking photos and video

TAKING VIDEO
I got the 64Gig version (vs 16 or 32) of the iPhone 5. That basically lets it store more music and video. It was the only thing in stock. I'm hoping that I can use it like a GoPro to take wheeling videos. I found a mount that I think will work well. LINK->Amazon.com: iOttie One-Touch Windshield Dashboard Car Mount Holder I have one on order so I will be able to report back how it works in a week.

OFFICIAL JEEP OWNER MANUAL - PDF
If you have iBooks (free app from app store) then you can save the user guide as a PDF. You need to do a search for exactly what your looking for (example-2012 owner manual wrangler pdf). The Jeep web site will kick you into their mobile page that doesn't have the link. You also need to be in the Safari (default) web browser. When it opens you can click "Open in iBooks" under the address bar (Shown here How to save PDF files from Safari directly to iBooks | iMore.com)

APPS
Wheelin (FREE)
Wheelin is an iPhone/iOS inclinometer app that shows you just that—the roll and pitch of your off-road vehicle in real time. It will hold the max angle with a dim line. You can also put warning tones on.
Wheelin for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

TRACK GAS WITH FUELLY - FREE
I've been using fuelly for awhile to track MPG on my computer. Fuelly | Share and Compare Your MPG . It's like hand tracking MPG but much more nice and clean. It also offers tons more info and charts. For example it will track, cost per mile, total fuel cost, average fuel cost, best MPG. Fuelly doesn't have an app, but it does have a web site geared for moble phones.LINK-> Login

OFFICIAL JEEP APPS (FREE)
JEEP® VEHICLE INFO
www.jeep.com using a iphone will take you there.

-This app is alright. I like the idea of having a parking reminder, and timer for parking meters. I will probably use the idea but not the app. It also has some user info like the user guide with video.
TRIPCAST - Free - From app store
TripCast by Jeep - iPhone App by Tocquigny - YouTube

FLASHLIGHT-Free-There are a ton of free apps for this.

MAPPING- I am really wanting to find a good app that will show breadcrumbs. I have downloaded a few that are for hiking and biking that might work.

PROTECTION
I got an otterbox defender case that will hopefully keep the phone in good shape. It's pretty beefy. I got mine in black. After thinking about it, maybe red, or a bright color would have been wiser. Hopefully I don't misplace it at night.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Now if the app would work :(
x2

On my iphone I keep getting some kinda parse error. Last night I got frustrated and hit the report button like 20 times, just to give some cold, heartless server extra work. Yeah, it's petty. But who cares? Fix the goddamn app...

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Rooster, hope you got Google Maps, and not the proprietary Apple version, which has a tendency to show major landmarks in the middle of bodies of water. :)

·
Super Moderator
53,785 Posts
x2

On my iphone I keep getting some kinda parse error. Last night I got frustrated and hit the report button like 20 times, just to give some cold, heartless server extra work. Yeah, it's petty. But who cares? Fix the goddamn app...
That's funny lol
I did the same. Always wondered where "report" went off to :confused:
Been like this since the upgrade. But only happened on 4G.
Now I can not do sh*t :(
Safari blows !!

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
That's funny lol
I did the same. Always wondered where "report" went off to :confused:
Been like this since the upgrade. But only happened on 4G.
Now I can not do sh*t :(
Safari blows !!
I won't even get on with Safari...so no phone use for me. I'm at home now, and can use Firefox, which I've got on all 3 Macs. I don't think I've used Safari in a couple years.

I thought of you last night while I was getting the dreaded Parse error, cuz I know you're primarily a phone guy. In my mind you had your head thrown back, screaming at the heavens while tearing handfuls of hair off both sides of your scalp. It was very Krusty the Klown-like. :)

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
I'm in. Back to computer. :D

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Not working for you?
No, it worked. But I'm at the crib, and have 2 laptops and a desktop that are lightning fast, so no need to dick around with the weenie iphone keyboard. :)

I posted a comment asking nicely to figure it out. So....... Everybody thank me :cool:
Thanks man. Sincerely.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Same thing here. iPhone 4s. Phase error all the time. Had som luck closing the app then reopening it. But today it's working great.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
I was having the issue yesterday too. Was pissing me off. It happens randomly, I delete the app and reinstall a couple times and sometimes it works, sometimes not.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I wished you asked first. I switched from an Otter Box to a Lifeproof case. It's waterproof and slimmer than the Otterbox.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I love my Otter Box on my 4s. It has certainly protected it. Mine is black and I like that cause it blends in either of my two vehicles when I leave it behind. A quick look inside and you'd miss it if you were looking for a quick grab.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I wish I had smaller, pointier, fingers

I have been going nuts with my iPhone the last couple days, and I think I found a couple killer apps for Jeepin' in particular.

WEATHER
The Weather Channel app (Free) - This has an animated precipitation map for your GPS location. It could come in real handy if your wondering if you should put your Jeep's top up, or doors on.

There is also a free app called "Weather Bug" that does about the same stuff.

GAS PRICES
GasBuddy - It will give you a list of the prices around your location. It will also show you a map with all the gas prices pinned at different locations. It looks like it's kept up to date very well around me at least.

MAPPING
Rooster, hope you got Google Maps, and not the proprietary Apple version, which has a tendency to show major landmarks in the middle of bodies of water. :)
No I didn't get Google. :banghead: I haven't messed with the new stock Map option much, but it seemed pretty good so far. It would be nice if it was more photo based vs line art. It will update routes almost instantly which is nice. It also will bark out directions when minimized. I guess we'll see how it works out.
GOOGLE MAPS
I also put a link for google maps on my screen (shows how here-> https://plus.google.com/+google/posts/BfyZSihuD3k). It should work better than a physical map (if I have battery life left). It's going to be my main back up plan. The GPS locator with it seems to be off about 200 yards at times with it.
BREAD-CRUMB APP'S
Map My Hike (Map My Tracks, Map My Ride (bike icon shown), Map My Walk) FREE . I just quickly used Map My Hike on a car ride. It seemed to be super accurate on putting down a bread-crumb trail. I'm pretty sure all these apps are almost identical. The map my tracks one you can do multiple , "events," for tracking with the upgrade.

THANK'S:thumb:
....... Everybody thank me :cool:
Thanks :dance: It seems to still have a few bugs, but its usable.

PROTECTIVE CASE
I wished you asked first. I switched from an Otter Box to a Lifeproof case. It's waterproof and slimmer than the Otterbox.
The otterbox defender is pretty huge. Besides that it seems pretty killer for protection. It looks water resistant in how it is put together. I think it would protect it enough in a downpour in my pocket. That's all I will hopefully need. The semi-grippy case should keep it in my pocket. I don't want it plopping in a toilet. If it does get submerged hopefully there will be some rice I can stick it in, to dry it up. The Lifeproof case isn't out just yet for the new iPhone 5.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Rooster76 said:
I just got my first iPhone/smartphone. I'm looking to find good apps and tricks on how to use it. Here are some of the things I have thought of so far.

The more obvious things that come to mind. If I'm missing something please chime in.

[*]make calls (I have a CB for more remote places)
[*]check list, for supplies and gear
[*]music - I don't have Uconnect, so I will be using some 3.5 mm (1/8") male-male cable into the AUX port.
[*]finding gas stations and restaurants
[*]taking photos and video

TAKING VIDEO
I got the 64Gig version (vs 16 or 32) of the iPhone 5. That basically lets it store more music and video. It was the only thing in stock. I'm hoping that I can use it like a GoPro to take wheeling videos. I found a mount that I think will work well. LINK->Amazon.com: iOttie One-Touch Windshield Dashboard Car Mount Holder I have one on order so I will be able to report back how it works in a week.

OFFICIAL JEEP OWNER MANUAL - PDF
If you have iBooks (free app from app store) then you can save the user guide as a PDF. You need to do a search for exactly what your looking for (example-2012 owner manual wrangler pdf). The Jeep web site will kick you into their mobile page that doesn't have the link. You also need to be in the Safari (default) web browser. When it opens you can click "Open in iBooks" under the address bar (Shown here How to save PDF files from Safari directly to iBooks | iMore.com)

APPS
Wheelin (FREE)
Wheelin is an iPhone/iOS inclinometer app that shows you just that—the roll and pitch of your off-road vehicle in real time. It will hold the max angle with a dim line. You can also put warning tones on.
Wheelin for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

TRACK GAS WITH FUELLY - FREE
I've been using fuelly for awhile to track MPG on my computer. Fuelly | Share and Compare Your MPG . It's like hand tracking MPG but much more nice and clean. It also offers tons more info and charts. For example it will track, cost per mile, total fuel cost, average fuel cost, best MPG. Fuelly doesn't have an app, but it does have a web site geared for moble phones.LINK-> Login

OFFICIAL JEEP APPS (FREE)
JEEP® VEHICLE INFO
www.jeep.com using a iphone will take you there.

-This app is alright. I like the idea of having a parking reminder, and timer for parking meters. I will probably use the idea but not the app. It also has some user info like the user guide with video.
TRIPCAST - Free - From app store
TripCast by Jeep - iPhone App by Tocquigny - YouTube

FLASHLIGHT-Free-There are a ton of free apps for this.

MAPPING- I am really wanting to find a good app that will show breadcrumbs. I have downloaded a few that are for hiking and biking that might work.

PROTECTION
I got an otterbox defender case that will hopefully keep the phone in good shape. It's pretty beefy. I got mine in black. After thinking about it, maybe red, or a bright color would have been wiser. Hopefully I don't misplace it at night.
Hey thanks so much for the great info and links

Especially for iBooks and instant manual access (since the hard copy doesn't even fit for $hit in the damn glovebox WTF)

You rock

1 - 20 of 41 Posts