Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't found a whole lot of use for the voice commands on the UConnect so far. Seems just as easy to select the CD button or forward to the next track using the steering wheel controls vs using the voice control.

Curious if it has any uses on the ipod? Can you tell it to select a particular band or song? My ipod has so many bands on it it takes forever to navigate down to something in the middle of the pack. Will it "find Pearl Jam" or something like that? Any tricks that would help with ipod navigation?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I haven't found a whole lot of use for the voice commands on the UConnect so far. Seems just as easy to select the CD button or forward to the next track using the steering wheel controls vs using the voice control.

Curious if it has any uses on the ipod? Can you tell it to select a particular band or song? My ipod has so many bands on it it takes forever to navigate down to something in the middle of the pack. Will it "find Pearl Jam" or something like that? Any tricks that would help with ipod navigation?
Literally picked up my Jeep yesterday. On the way home we plugged in my old Ipod and after a few minutes it would let me use the VC to select Artist, Album, Song, you name it. It just takes a bit to sync it appears.

·
Commercial Member
2,013 Posts
It takes a few minutes depending on how much you have stored on the iPod. It needs to set up it's library on the artist, track, albums, podcast, genre etc.
It is nice instead of having too scroll thru to select what you want to play. You can say "play artist Pink Floyd", "play Album the wall" etc.

Literally picked up my Jeep yesterday. On the way home we plugged in my old Ipod and after a few minutes it would let me use the VC to select Artist, Album, Song, you name it. It just takes a bit to sync it appears.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh that's great. I'm going to play with that tonight. I didn't realize it could do that. That would make my life a lot easier because currently I am scrolling through all the artists which takes forever.

Can I "play song wish you were here" for example? there are thousands of songs on my ipod, could it find a particular song like that or is the album the most detailed it gets?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Oh that's great. I'm going to play with that tonight. I didn't realize it could do that. That would make my life a lot easier because currently I am scrolling through all the artists which takes forever.

Can I "play song wish you were here" for example? there are thousands of songs on my ipod, could it find a particular song like that or is the album the most detailed it gets?
It will go to exact songs if you do it exactly like you stated above. I'm very impressed actually. It does the same thing over Bluetooth by the way :D

·
Commercial Member
2,013 Posts
When using Bluetooth streaming audio, the only VR command that you are able to use is "next track". That is why when you start streaming, about a minute or so later, there is a dialog box that momentarily pops up saying "Remote allow". This means that the phone is the remote controller during this mode.

It will go to exact songs if you do it exactly like you stated above. I'm very impressed actually. It does the same thing over Bluetooth by the way :D

·
Registered
107 Posts
When using Bluetooth streaming audio, the only VR command that you are able to use is "next track". That is why when you start streaming, about a minute or so later, there is a dialog box that momentarily pops up saying "Remote allow". This means that the phone is the remote controller during this mode.
I was speaking about the Ipod. I have been playing it through my BT and I'm pretty sure it allows voice control as well. I'll have to check it out on my ride home to confirm. My phone does not, you are correct.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finally got to play around with the UC today and the ipod and it worked great. I was able to "play - "artist" "album" or "song" and it went to the correct destination most of the time. It was able to get the most complex song titles the easiest which surprised me. The biggest problems were songs with similar titles. But all in all it worked really well. For listening to the ipod it is SOOOOOO much easier than cycling through everything folder by folder.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm very impressed with the VR controls on the ipod, it has made my horribly organized (few playlists) but huge library suddenly worth having in the car. I had ipod controls on my aftermarket Alpine stereo in my old Jeep, but it could only display one song at a time and made navigating too hazardous while driving. I used to just put it on shuffle and hit "next" a lot.

However, no matter how much I enunciate it refuses to find the song "Bohemian Rhapsody", but it is kind of funny to see what pops up instead (different each time).

·
Commercial Member
2,013 Posts
Can you try this?
Press the VR button and say "list songs", once Uconnect starts to list them, press the VR button and say "jump to B" (make sure that the "B" is clear because she may jump to "V" or another letter that sounds similar).
Listen to how she says "Bohemian Rhapsody". She may be saying it slightly different than you are (and the way we would say it).

I'm very impressed with the VR controls on the ipod, it has made my horribly organized (few playlists) but huge library suddenly worth having in the car. I had ipod controls on my aftermarket Alpine stereo in my old Jeep, but it could only display one song at a time and made navigating too hazardous while driving. I used to just put it on shuffle and hit "next" a lot.

However, no matter how much I enunciate it refuses to find the song "Bohemian Rhapsody", but it is kind of funny to see what pops up instead (different each time).

·
Registered
112 Posts
Can you try this?
Press the VR button and say "list songs", once Uconnect starts to list them, press the VR button and say "jump to B" (make sure that the "B" is clear because she may jump to "V" or another letter that sounds similar).
Listen to how she says "Bohemian Rhapsody". She may be saying it slightly different than you are (and the way we would say it).
I tried this method, turns out I don't actually have Bohemian Rhapsody on my iPod!! Now, I know for a fact that it is on there, but I think it must be labeled very poorly (i.e. Track 12 or something) due to getting it and almost all my music from someone on deployment years ago. Unfortunately I don't have that computer any more, so I don't think there is any easy way for me to manage the files on that iPod without losing everything on it when iTunes syncs. Yes, I know there are other ways to do it, but they are less than caveman simple, so I haven't gotten around to trying that yet.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can you try this?
That's cool, I didn't know you could do that

I have been searching online and have yet to run across a good manual that explains all the different things you can do with this feature. The owner's manual is just about useless. Any source out there that lists all the commands and features?

·
Commercial Member
2,013 Posts
I will look into this for you. I have heard the same complaint from others also. There are several commands that I stumble on and think, hey that's cool.

That's cool, I didn't know you could do that

I have been searching online and have yet to run across a good manual that explains all the different things you can do with this feature. The owner's manual is just about useless. Any source out there that lists all the commands and features?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts