Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had this irritating squeak under the hood.

Thought maybe one of the four mice was gonna die on me.

Noise seemed to be coming from power steering pump so I decided to poke around with the motor running! ( DO NOT DO THIS AT HOME ... I am an untrained professional! LOL )

I put some pressure on the belt while it was running and the noise changes a bit as I expected.

I then applied side pressure on the belt towards the rear .... no change.

I then applied side pressure on the belt towards the front ... WHOA !!!!

The belt jumped over one 'track' on the P/S pump pulley and NO MORE NOISE.

Note that I needed to replace the belt before doing this, so any risk of damage to the existing belt was not an issue.

Hopefully when the new belt is installed there are no squeaks ....I will install it just where the old one is, and if it squeaks will try moving it on the P/S pump pulley.

It's a 95 YJ with the 2.5L 4 banger.

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
Take your eyeball and look at all of the pulleys from the side. Make sure they all are in the same plane and not slightly out or in. And while you have your belt off, wobble them all to make sure all bearings are running true. The ones on the idlers are common.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Take your eyeball and look at all of the pulleys from the side. Make sure they all are in the same plane and not slightly out or in. And while you have your belt off, wobble them all to make sure all bearings are running true. The ones on the idlers are common.
Thanks ... I was planning on doing the new belt today but when I went to buy it I was asked a question that I could not answer.

The guy asked if I had one or two idlers ...... I looked today and there is only one.

Not sure why there would be two of them.

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
If you had A/C, they have a second one down next to the alternator

1 - 4 of 4 Posts