Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to buy a 97 tj with 135,000 miles and my friend that found it for me in Colorado said it's in near perfect condition owner says 4" suspension lift and 2" body lift i6 and 5 speed comes with hard top and I already have a soft top that will go on it is 7200 a good price??

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
One other item you will want to check is the engine and drive train. Is it original or had it been rebuilt. I picked up my 2000 for 5K with 110K. I had to replace the Radiator and rebuild the rear differential due to leaks. I did the work my self, so saved on the labor shops would charge.
If you see leaks on the seals for the Engine, Transmission, Transfer case, or either differentials, it going to take some coin to fix.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Depending on where in CO, I can go look at it with you. I'm in Colorado Springs.
it's in cortez the guy I know over there has owned a lot of jeeps he has 2 right now too actually lol he told me it was a $10,000 jeep but I just don't know enough about them I guess I know though that in my looking these things are not cheap. I'm a mechanic I've worked on a lot of them and I know a lot of the things to look for it's just that there are very specific things with different vehicles that need to be checked out and that is why I came to you guys!! Lol

·
Super Moderator
9,601 Posts
Run a car fax on it, that'll tell you where it spent most of its life. Colorado vehicles don't really have rust issues like the rust belt. Put it on a lift and look for rust on frame. Loosen the skid plate bolts, support the TC & tranny, and look for rust.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
It looks like its been lifted. I would test drive it on the highway and look for death wobble just to be safe. I would also take it to a mechanic and have it checked for rust, as well as the suspension and drive train. Colorado has a lot of snow and salt. You can tell right away that the seats are no good, that is likely why they are covered.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
As stated, not a lot of rust issues here in CO, but still worth checking for. Many rigs in CO fetch somewhere around 8-10k. So 7200 isnt a bad price.

Take a look at the lift. 4" needs an sye and dc shaft with control arms...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yes that seems like a good price. Does it have AC?

I paid $7,300 for my 2003 Sport with 136k miles, I6, automatic, cruise control, AC, 5 disc changer, full hard doors, soft top, purchased from original owner. No lift and zero rust but the paint was oxidized and cracked all over the hood and front fenders. The interior was VERY dirty when I bought it. It was far from excellent condition. But most TJ's here in AZ go for 8k-12k.

·
Super Moderator
9,601 Posts
It looks like its been lifted. I would test drive it on the highway and look for death wobble just to be safe. I would also take it to a mechanic and have it checked for rust, as well as the suspension and drive train. Colorado has a lot of snow and salt. You can tell right away that the seats are no good, that is likely why they are covered.
Snow & Salt in Cortez? Must be a different Cortez, CO....

·
Registered
102 Posts
Look inside the frame before and after the transfer case plate, thats where water gets stuck and it gets rotted

·
Registered
3 Posts
HI . I am a jeep newbie and am looking to buy an '01 TJ with 150k miles on CL. It is a 4.0L sport. The ad says it is the last engine built before they moved to a new engine in 2002. I was under the impression that engines don't change until the abbreviation changes- JK ,TJ,etc. Ad also claims to have a specialty drive shaft option. What does that imply? Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am also looking at a red TJ '02 stick, with 231k miles on the clock.. Any ballpark prediction on how long these engines last? I test drove it today and liked it BUT there is squel in the front end which owner said is from bad shocks...on the plus side...the frame got welded, new clutch,new brake liners.. I am just worried about the 231k miles..price at $4200.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
I don't think the hard top is original which means it won't have the wiring and washer tubing for the rear window. It has half doors and all hard tops came with full doors.

Has original wheels but what size tires? Does not look like 3" of lift plus 2" of body lift. Interior shows seat covers which means original seats may be in bad shape. My Rubi has fewer miles and fewer years, yet the seats need to be redone.

If it is in good shape and the modifications match what you want, it's a good buy. If te modifications don't match, then it's not.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I have a guy out there says it's in good shape and worth the money his son and I just bought tickets today to fly out there. As of now I plan on buying, if not well I'm out a plane ticket and some gas to get back home lol his son is driving one of his dads jeeps back home as another buddy of ours is buying that one. Our flight is 6 am Thursday the 31st I'm kinda excited!

·
Super Moderator
9,601 Posts
Was thinking the same thing. I've never seen salt here.
I see you're from the Springs too, I'm down in Fountain. Be sure to check out the Colorado Forum here, we have fairly regular runs from mild to expect some damage.

John

1 - 20 of 29 Posts