Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
It can't hurt, I say get it for peace of mind. Plus it will keep the bad guys away from your battery.

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Hood lock also help prevent "hood flutter".

I have the MOPAR hood lock on my two JKs.

I also understand there is another brand (can't recall the name) that is identical yet less expensive than the MOPAR. It is discussed on the forum.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Hood lock also help prevent "hood flutter".

I have the MOPAR hood lock on my two JKs.

I also understand there is another brand (can't recall the name) that is identical yet less expensive than the MOPAR. It is discussed on the forum.
BOLT makes it, about $55 bucks.

·
Registered
21,691 Posts
Don't know guy's.. the grill is plastic. how hard would it be to yank out the bottom of the grill and fold it up towards the hood. assuming no light bar or winch on the bumper.

Just a thought that hit me.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Which one is better, the one through the grill or the ones on the top of the hood that are latches?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Just a thought of fire under the hood keeps my hands out of wallet from ordering hood lock. I have 2 fire extinguishers under my hands. Better be ready

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Which one is better, the one through the grill or the ones on the top of the hood that are latches?
I am happy with my BOLT hood lock, the great thing about it is that it automatically keys to your ignition key. You can't do that with the locking hood latches.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I am happy with my BOLT hood lock, the great thing about it is that it automatically keys to your ignition key. You can't do that with the locking hood latches.
X2 if you lost your hood keys you could be screwed.

I got the bolt as well at it performs as suggested. It even helped eliminate hood flutter as it pulls the hood down a little tighter.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Just a thought of fire under the hood keeps my hands out of wallet from ordering hood lock. I have 2 fire extinguishers under my hands. Better be ready
it's one extra 2sec step between opening hood latches on ether side and then open up the centre latch. It really doesn't take much time at all. And it's worth the purchase for the piece of mind alone at when its parked out of sight or at night asleep.

·
Registered
197 Posts
it's one extra 2sec step between opening hood latches on ether side and then open up the centre latch. It really doesn't take much time at all. And it's worth the purchase for the piece of mind alone at when its parked out of sight or at night asleep.
Yep, exactly my thoughts. It's nice to not have to worry about someone being able to get at your battery, headlights or whatever else under the hood. Is it 100% thief-proof? Probably not, but I doubt someone will take the time to try and defeat your hood lock when they can go find another Jeep without one.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, thanks for the help. I think I'm going to get the bolt one that goes behind grill. The next problem is that I have the hard mesh grill guard without an opening. Think I can dremel out a hole and make it look ok??

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just my opinion, but I added the Bolt lock after installing JWS headlights and JWM grill guard. I immediately regretted the decision.

I was unsure about adding the lock in the first place, because of the trade-off of making it more difficult to get the hood open in an emergency. But what made me regret the decision is that the lock is incredibly easy to defeat. A long screwdriver or other implement allows you to easily open the hood without causing any damage to the Jeep or lock. And because the lock is riveted in place, it's a lot of work to remove it. Also, the JWM guard I bought has the hole for the lock, and it would look weird to remove the lock.

As many people will say, any security device is just there as a deterrent, and a determined thief will take what they want no matter what, but I really expected more from this lock.

I hadn't experienced hood flutter prior to installing the lock, but I have no doubt the lock would prevent any flutter or lift, so that's a consolation.

If I did it again, I'd either look seriously at the side locks or not get a lock and just replace the rubber latches with something more heavy duty.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
re: "because of the trade-off of making it more difficult to get the hood open in an emergency. "

1) you don't have to have it lock all the time, just at particularly exposed intervals;

2) the 'long screw driver' theory at least in my own experiment with prior Wrangler/OEM lock, was it took long THIN style ice pick at a particular angle you already knew, to accomplish that....

3) reviewing the 'Tuffy' I have yet to discover how such is possible. Not saying it ain't the case, just seems less vulnerable.

In any case, the anxiety of having the OEM lock was considerably less than NOT having it.

And if you get the other non-OEM style....get some extra keys, eh?

Nothing we do can prevent every possible contingency.....yet the 10% extra security measures we CAN and DO apply adds 90% increased confidence in 'the easy theft' from happening.

Of course if THEY want it THEY will get it.....the job is to make it just a little harder/time consuming/extra effort/ and THEY may well move along to something easier.

In any case, the illusion of whatever we do to reduce the likelihood, decreases my own anxiety.

YMMV

·
Registered
72 Posts
Two weeks before a jeep show, a local that was suppose to attend had his grill and trucklites stolen. It will help avoid theft but if they want it, they'll squeeze through the grill and unscrew it.
Really? How stupid do you have to be to risk a criminal record over some cheap pair of headlights? That really takes dumb ass to another level.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts