Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a convertible kind of girl. I've love the sun on my skin and the wind in my hair. I'm also a SUV kind of girl. I live in New England and like the ability to handle the roads no matter the weather condition. And the ability to transport things with out borrowing someone truck is also very nice. So to me it seem like a Jeep Wrangler may be the way to do.

Currently I drive a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. Which is terrible in snow and while the trunk space is decent, I've recently obtained a puppy who is 75lbs and only 5 months. She fits in the back seat just fine but it pretty much means I'm now only able to have one passenger if I'm traveling with the pup.

I have no plans to do any extreme off roading. Although driving it on to a beach is definitely in the realm of possibility.

I drive mostly around town and locally. Except for in the summers when I spend most weekends on the cape which is about 2 hours worth of highway.

Concerns I have-

Security. I don't need a lock box or anything but it would be nice if I could find a solution for privacy in the cargo space. I like to keep my golf clubs in my car in the summer and while I don't worry about theft too much, I also don't want to advertise.

Price- I'm not looking to buy brand new, but how much would 2013 or 2014 with low mileage and navigation cost me? Listing for these vehicles seem high. I may as well buy new (I also am terrible at a car dealership and don't know how to haggle).

Steering- My Sonata drives so smooth and steering is easy. I understand the Jeep is not manufactured for this purpose but exactly how hard is steering. No more knee steering? Will I be getting a daily bicep workout? Just curious.

Gas Mileage- My next car will definitely be a SUV. Is the Wranglers gas mileage terribly different from a typical SUV?

Thanks for any advice you have for me!

·
Registered
200 Posts
We just bought my wife a used 2013 JKU Sport S with 15k miles. Pretty much loaded for a sport. In pristine shape we paid 29,500. Might have overpaid but the dealers locally werent dealing at all on new or used. Steering is easy, knee steering should be no problem. No navi, but I could add that easily with a factory or aftermarket unit for under $1000

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Our current JK is our third Wrangler (all 2 doors) so you can tell we really like them. However, to us it is just a third vehicle for fun and sun, not really an everyday driver. The JKs are much more civilized than Jeeps in the past for sure, but in the summer, we take the top off and it stays off until fall. For that reason we went with a hard top this time as it is quieter and warmer in the winter. The soft top on our TJ was not what you would call quick up/quick down, either. If you want to go topless in a hard top, you'll need a way to get the top off, there are several options but nothing like pressing the button in a convertible. Soft tops have gotten better, but are still noisier, colder and still not quick to remove/reinstall. All that said however, nothing can replace the fun of cruising in the sun with the top and doors gone! Good luck and let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
10,414 Posts
Wranglers only come with part-time 4WD. So, you can't have it in 4WD when on clear/clean paved roads. If your area is like mine, that means you need to constantly shift it in and out of 4WD as you go from plowed streets to unplowed streets (I wish it had full time 4WD, like SelecTrac on my old XJ).

Expect the Wrangler to get about 1/2 the mileage of today's car-based SUV's. Even with its Hemi, our Charger AWD gets way, way better mileage (about 8-10 mpg better), and I drive the Charger harder.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts