Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would share this with everyone and get their take and thoughts on this.

U.S. Vehicle Dependability Study | JDPower.com

Ratings | J.D. Power

As you will notice Jeep, Chrysler, Dodge being in the top five worst ranked and Jeep being 2nd to last, almost last :confused: :eek:

I know there may be some people who will hate me for posting this or may get pissed :hide: but I was like OMG and in shock. I just could not believe companies like Kia, Hyuandai, Jaguar, Land Rover and more out beat them.

Basically it wasnt just Dodge, Chrysler or Jeep but all darn three of them. What? How? Why?

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
I am not surprised, and I think inside we all know it is partially true. Jeep people are a funny bunch, we can all accept a jeep owner talking about the problems they are having with there vehicle, but if a non Jeep owner does it, we all fire back.

Look at the amount of threads about leaks, oil consumption, engine and transmission problems, fuel tanks, death wobble, etc etc. Jeeps have there quirks as we call them, but our love for the ride helps us overlook them. There certainly is a reason why a Jeep is not for everyone. I personally have never liked any other chrysler product other than a Wrangler.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
true kjeeper10 they did out sale any other domestic automaker for 2011 but sales are not always what counts. As we all know the Wrangler is no longer the off roaders dream machine but now its a grocery getter, soccer mom, high school kids and lots of others who would never dream of using the vehicle for its main propose. So knowing it appeals to lots of people for a statement/look will also make the sales go up. I remember when I first thought about buying a Wrangler Unlimited or JK and spoke to my fiances father about it, he about had a heart attack. Why? Well for staters he is a big Wrangler fan, not so a Jeep fan but a Wrangler fan. But he conciders nothing of 2007 and newer a Wrangler. He said everything before 2007 was truely Wranglers and refuses to concider otherwise. To give you an idea this man owns several Wranglers and believes nothing stands as great. But he basically says and believes the same, its now a fad and look to why people drive them. Trust me I got hell for the JK and still do. Now if my Unlimited had a I6 with good power under the hood than I would be happy as all get out. But like something else he said, he's not paying $30,000+ for a vehicle thats suppost to be a simple built/non computerized vehicle like most. I think he would be more shocked to see the 2011-2012 models now. But in so many ways I gotta agree with him about everything he believes about the new JK and JKU but still I loved the 4 door version but maybe they would have just kept it a little more real. But anyway if according to this information provided if for example Land Rovers were at the sales price of a Wrangler and the up keep was at the same cost as a Wrangler than we may see Land Rover being the biggest selling car of all time. But thats not the case, as with buying a Land Rover it takes a wallet and a couple credit cards, lol. So now if we bring the Wranglers price up to lets say $60,000 to $100,000 alone without raising the cost up keep than you will see about half of the market and buyers go down. Now lets say you raise not only the cost but the parts and up keep. Now there you go. So sales are not everything if the ratings and reviews are not so great. It bothered me really seeing this list as I am sure it does lots others. Now if Chrysler would stop trying to make these Wranglers so appealing to everyone no matter who you are and kept to what these machines were really all about then we might see something different hear, I think it speaks even more when you think about the face that they ever released a 2wd Wrangler. This to me was like wtf, lol. To be thats like have a quad cab dually truck with 2wd. What why how and wtf for? hahaha

But oh well.

·
Bazinga!
1,180 Posts
Not surprised, they've been saying that for 71 years :rolleyes:. If its so bad, why have they been making them longer than any other vehicle.
Also you have to consider what they are used for, they will break down more because most cars don't go where they do.

·
Bazinga!
1,180 Posts
To give you an idea this man owns several Wranglers and believes nothing stands as great. But he basically says and believes the same, its now a fad and look to why people drive them. Trust me I got hell for the JK and still do.

But oh well.
Today's stock Wrangler is WAY more capable than all previous models. Who ever is giving you hell should take a ride in it.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
phottomatt said:
Today's stock Wrangler is WAY more capable than all previous models. Who ever is giving you hell should take a ride in it.
This. Never understand why people progress to a certain point and then just stop and say everything afterwards sucks. See it all facets. Music after year xxxx is awful, football/baseball after year xxxx is awful, etc.

I hope when I get older I'm not in that catergory.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Not shocked at all....the issues exist but people are willing to put up with them for the overall experience. Some folks seem to be in denial,build quality/QC can be considered sub par in comparison to other 4x4s, but many of the reasons are due to the unique features of the wrangler, no other 4x4 compares to the wrangler! Many ratings focus on mechanical failures, recalls, design issues, on road ride and handling etc most of these ratings seem pretty accurate from what I can see....like any other polls, you just have to understand who the audience is and what questions the polls are trying to answer. I would also have to agree with the prior post indicating the wrangler is better than ever, though I'm sure many would argue it is not LOL.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Not surprised at all. Did you ever look at the resale of a Chrysler product, except the Wrangler. They are still trying to sell new 2011 Minivans at $7,500 off even though the 2011 is a much better product than the 2010 and before. Let's face our German friends neglected Chrysler for quite some time. Seems like the new management is doing what they can to improve the product, but it takes a while for people to forget.

As for the Wrangler, it is definitely getting into the hands of people who don't understand its purpose and limitations on the road. When people are asking questions about the difficulty of turning a Wrangler in 4H while on dry pavement, you realize the sales force may be pushing to a very broad crowd without educating them properly. Those folks will likely answer negatively in surveys.

·
Super Moderator
53,779 Posts
harvy3317 said:
true kjeeper10 they did out sale any other domestic automaker for 2011 but sales are not always what counts. As we all know the Wrangler is no longer the off roaders dream machine but now its a grocery getter, soccer mom, high school kids and lots of others who would never dream of using the vehicle for its main propose. So knowing it appeals to lots of people for a statement/look will also make the sales go up. I remember when I first thought about buying a Wrangler Unlimited or JK and spoke to my fiances father about it, he about had a heart attack. Why? Well for staters he is a big Wrangler fan, not so a Jeep fan but a Wrangler fan. But he conciders nothing of 2007 and newer a Wrangler. He said everything before 2007 was truely Wranglers and refuses to concider otherwise. To give you an idea this man owns several Wranglers and believes nothing stands as great. But he basically says and believes the same, its now a fad and look to why people drive them. Trust me I got hell for the JK and still do. Now if my Unlimited had a I6 with good power under the hood than I would be happy as all get out. But like something else he said, he's not paying $30,000+ for a vehicle thats suppost to be a simple built/non computerized vehicle like most. I think he would be more shocked to see the 2011-2012 models now. But in so many ways I gotta agree with him about everything he believes about the new JK and JKU but still I loved the 4 door version but maybe they would have just kept it a little more real. But anyway if according to this information provided if for example Land Rovers were at the sales price of a Wrangler and the up keep was at the same cost as a Wrangler than we may see Land Rover being the biggest selling car of all time. But thats not the case, as with buying a Land Rover it takes a wallet and a couple credit cards, lol. So now if we bring the Wranglers price up to lets say $60,000 to $100,000 alone without raising the cost up keep than you will see about half of the market and buyers go down. Now lets say you raise not only the cost but the parts and up keep. Now there you go. So sales are not everything if the ratings and reviews are not so great. It bothered me really seeing this list as I am sure it does lots others. Now if Chrysler would stop trying to make these Wranglers so appealing to everyone no matter who you are and kept to what these machines were really all about then we might see something different hear, I think it speaks even more when you think about the face that they ever released a 2wd Wrangler. This to me was like wtf, lol. To be thats like have a quad cab dually truck with 2wd. What why how and wtf for? hahaha

But oh well.
Agree

·
Registered
298 Posts
What a bunch of BS. I had GM cars for years before the Wrangler and they were always having issues. The radiator on my GTO would crack wide open every few years because of the heat!

All cars have issues. All Jeeps have issues. To say that Jeeps have more issues than others is BS. My friend worked as a Hyundai mechanic and he told me to never buy a Hyundai because they were built so poorly. Guess where they are on the list?

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
re: "Dodges" is horrid, etc
Personal experience led me to buying a new Dodge Ram 4x4 2500, after 40+ years of Ford-Chev-GMC rigs.

At 87000+ miles with no issues to complain about, it remains the BEST truck I've ever had. From the looks of it, it will last for another 100,000.

The survey never contacted me.

·
Registered
69 Posts
true kjeeper10 they did out sale any other domestic automaker for 2011 but sales are not always what counts. As we all know the Wrangler is no longer the off roaders dream machine but now its a grocery getter, soccer mom, high school kids and lots of others who would never dream of using the vehicle for its main propose.
Disagree. Last time I checked, Chrysler wasn't a nonprofit organization. Their purpose is to move units. To sell vehicles, make a profit and satisfy their stockholders. Chrysler IS a business like any other - profit is the only thing counts. And you can't make a profit without sales.

As for the "grocery getter/soccer mom/not a real Wranger" stuff I keep reading, I see this same type of stuff on other forums I frequent. I always ask the same question - what does it matter to you what I do with my stuff?

If the forum will indulge, I'll plagiarize myself as I've said this before:

I bought my (in this case a Jeep) for one reason and one reason only. Because I wanted to and it makes me happy. It's a tool to do a job and that job is to make me grin - how it does it is as I see fit. Whether it does it by sitting in the garage looking pretty or dredging out a 10 foot mudpit is irrelevant. You don't like the year/make/model/color/intended use? That's as it should be - because it's not for you. It's for me.

Every time someone buys a Jeep, they're both enlarging the community and putting money into it. This pumps money into Jeep and the aftermarket - which allows them to invest in better technology, produce more and improved products and lower prices.

What if everyone owned a Jeep? How terrible would that be? Perhaps there'd be so many of them, cost of the vehicles and cost of ownership would drop like a rock. You could do mods for next to nothing - demand for parts would be such that they would be widely available and cheap to boot. Sound like good reasons to make sure we limit the amount of Jeeps and the type of folks that own them? I think not...

Seems to me, it really doesn't matter who buys what and does what with it. If it makes them grin, good for them. I think we'd be better served if we spent more time enjoying our own rigs rather than worrying about what others own and what they do with it.

·
Super Moderator
53,779 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
There is always a lot of "selective" reasoning in these things. I never owned a Jeep before my purchase in August. Frankly of the 35 or so vehicles I have owned over 50 years of driving (ya, 50!) I find my 2011 JK Sport "S" to be the best driving enjoyment I have had.

Build quality?, Safety?.....maybe not on the VERY top of my list, (its no Volvo- we have an '09 V70 currently) but all around driving fun? YUP!!!!! The JK wins hands down.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Allow my Manufacturing Manager to come out, this is where my wife falls asleep:flowers:

Automobiles, no matter the brand, are made up of several thousand components. That see stress mutilple times a second while driving. Some see forces even while sitting still(screws and bolts). The parts are made by several vendors across the world and generally these vendors get the business based upon low cost not necessarily quality, especially the more common vehicles because of the number of components that will be necessary to supply the supply chain. To not see a failure should be concidered a miracle of all miracles.

I have owned 2 Nissans hard body PU, 1 GMC Sierra, 1 TrailBlazer SS, 1 Cadillac CTS-V, 2 Jeep Wranglers, Jeep Liberty, and a Grand Cherokee. I have had minor or major issues with all of them outside of the Trailblazer that my wife only had for 30k miles. The CTS-V was by far the most expensive and the most problem ridden vehicle I have ever owned and it was a '09 after GM had "fixed" their quality issues.

The fact of the matter is that anything mechanical will break and it is luck of the draw to whether or not it will be your to an extent outside of useage. Funny thing about issues is lots of people do not like power windows and such because they fail or quit but I have NEVER had that issue. My most common trouble has always been rubber seals that start to leak...no matter the vehicle:banghead: They just don't make rubbers like they used to:cool:

1 - 20 of 68 Posts