Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still waiting for my first Jeep to arrive and I've been telling everyone I want to pull off the doors and drive around without the top whenever I can.

Just wondering... is that street legal?

My guess is that although some states may allow you to go doorless, most would require the side mirrors, because that could be a danger to others.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I'm still waiting for my first Jeep to arrive and I've been telling everyone I want to pull off the doors and drive around without the top whenever I can.

Just wondering... is that street legal?

My guess is that although some states may allow you to go doorless, most would require the side mirrors, because that could be a danger to others.
Ask a police officer, it varies by state.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks... I just spotted a bunch of mirrors on Quadratech. It looks like most mount on the windshield, presumably for people who use the hinges for half doors, but I saw several hinge models.

To me, the hinge option is the best way to go.

Any thoughts on brand? The two most popular seemed to be Lange and Olympic.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Thanks... I just spotted a bunch of mirrors on Quadratech. It looks like most mount on the windshield, presumably for people who use the hinges for half doors, but I saw several hinge models.

To me, the hinge option is the best way to go.

Any thoughts on brand? The two most popular seemed to be Lange and Olympic.
I like and use the American outlaw mirrors .. Love em .. Takes 10 seconds to put on or take off ..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Whether it's actually legal or not the risk of you being "at fault" significantly increases if you're in an accident.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
State contingent.

Increased liability with less than three mirrors? Please provide civil case law supporting this assertion. It is either legal per the State vehicle code or not.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sticky fingers on my iPad. :)

Anyhow, I love the idea of using a magnetic lock to hold it in place instead of using a wrench, so I just ordered a pair.

For what it's worth, I think it's a great price too, because you get a pair for under $100.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Looks like that page is no longer active... is there an updated URL?

So far, I'll most likely drive in NY and NJ with the doors off, but it's good to have a resource for checking before a road trip.
For some reason the last period and parenthesis was dropped from the url.

Try this: Mirror Laws

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
In Illinois it is street legal...:dance:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks, Mike... that link works. It looks like I'm good to go doorless in NY and NJ, as long as I have side mirrors. I ordered the JustAddMud pair and it will arrive long before my Jeep does (drats).

One more question. What are the rules for driving with the Windshield down? That would give me the ultimate open air experience.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts