Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Used 2004 Jeep Wrangler For Sale in Chantilly, VA Arlington VA, Alexandria & Manassas | 1J4FA49SX4P702854

I took a look at it a couple months ago when it was priced higher (about $6,500). It has some rust on the bumper and side steps, but I didn't see any rust on the frame or anywhere underneath.

I would be buying this as a third car (so more of a toy) occasionally driving to work in nice weather, on the weekends, and also for beach trips.

Seems crazy to consider buying a car with 238k miles, but it's an '04 (so a lot of miles put on in a relatively short time) and it has the 4.0L engine which I know is supposed to be pretty durable.

Any thoughts/advice?

·
Registered
527 Posts
For a 3rd vehicle toy just get it as cheaply as you possibly can and you can't really go wrong. If it breaks down you got 2 other rides lol

·
Registered
346 Posts
It's a dealership so you can get it for less. That's a lot of miles. I'd do it for $4k and be prepared to put some money in it at some point. Would be a fun toy. I have friends who bought a YJ for $3500 with that kind of mileage and they just drive it around town and to the beach in the summer.

·
Registered
217 Posts
How long you intend to own it and how much money you plan to put into it? Tire, lift...etc. Not sure you will get it back with that amount of mileage. That TJ did a moon landing..lol

·
Registered
343 Posts
A rust free(frame/body) '04 4.0/auto/ac/cruise for $5K? I'd say yes......but did you pull up that carpet and take a good look at the floorboards? Something tells me there is rust hiding from you.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Check and double check all electrical and a/c and heat. Also check for leaks. Higher mileage if not maintained can have several gasket leaks....and some can be really expensive to fix.

Also notice that there is a hardtop on this, but I don't think it is original (you would have had the two butting for windshield wiper and rear defrost next to the O/D button).

If it's rust free frame, that's a decent deal, but take note of things you'd have to fix and see if you can negotiate it down. But like one other posted, you'll probably out some money into it.

TJ's are a fun third vehicle!

·
Registered
527 Posts
I can't imagine pulling the trigger on anything higher than 150k unless it has an engine replacement done. That is a TON of miles.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I did the same thing. Bought one recently with 217k as a 3rd vehicle/toy for 5500 stock with no rust. I was originally looking at yjs because of my budget but most yjs that's were cheaper weren't in very good shape. This TJ was in great shape and ran/drove/shifter tighter than alot of jeeps I drove with less miles. I figure if I need a motor in a couple years It will still be worth it. I changed all fluids and plugs and it runs great after 2500 miles. Ony had to replace radiator.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'd say if you like wrenching on things and don't mind replacing the occasional parts like shocks, ball joints, radiator, etc as they come up then go for it

·
Registered
146 Posts
You can get one with only 90k miles that the engine will die or trans will go out, so just because its got high mileage doesn't mean much... it's the history that matters really.
Has it had regular oil changes, so the gaskets are cracked and leaking?
Regular services? Do the fluids look good?

If it's been treated badly then I'd stay away from it.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hey, it sounds like a good deal....but to be sure, if you have a mechanic you trust, take the TJ to him and throw it on a lift. I bought my TJ about 45 minutes from where I live. The dealer had no issue with me driving it to my home for an afternoon so my mechanic could go through it with me.

·
Registered
329 Posts
IMO, if the frame is relatively rust free and the vehicle is in good condition, it would be a GREAT building block for whatever mods you wish to add down the road. Crate motors aren't all that expensive if needed down the road. Most "built" TJs have a finished cost of $15k+.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I believe you found a good deal. Everyone says the 4.0 can last for another 100k miles than what he odo has on it. Also, just the hardtop and full doors could fetch $2k on Craigslist. You could likely break even on a complete part out if you got it for $4500.

I would care less about AC at that price point (I've never used mine), sell the hardtop and get a cheap soft top if it's your third vehicle.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts