Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was test driving an 08 JKUX and while going 55 mph on the road I had to hit the brakes as I was coming to a turn onto the interstate. When I hit the brakes the whole jeep started bucking like crazy. I let off the brake and everything was fine. I kept going cause I could not pull over where I was and it did not happen again. I pressed the brakes and took several turns. I tried breaking at speed and also breaking while turning and it never repeated. My mechanic was unable to reproduce the symptom either but since he will be handling some other issues with it if I purchase it then he will investigate further.

I had never heard of the Death Wobble before and was wondering if this could be that or hopefully something much less concerning.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to add the things he needs to fix are: leaking power steering line, leaking shock, main seal(has to remove the transmission) and one other seal that is also leaking (not sure what it was though).

·
Registered
243 Posts
True death wobble doesn't stop until the vehicle comes to a crawl, but I would definitely take a very close look at the front end of that Jeep before purchasing it.

Has the Jeep been lifted?

Is there any play in bushings or joints in the front end components?

Wobbles like that can be caused by worn parts, or bolts that are not torqued to spec. If that leaking shock isn't properly damping vertical motion, it too may be contributing to the wobble that you experienced.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Sounds like you tried to take a turn too fast and either you antilock brakes kicked in or the stability control.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. Reading through this forum is great to learn different issues that have been identified the hard way. Hopefully as I read more and wrench on my own I will be able to contribute also.

Carlton - That is what my thoughts are on it after looking at the Death Wobble videos and the threads to change the lugs I strongly believe that my mechanic would have seen that issues since he was under the vehicle pulling on the tie rods and back and forth along them.

Jurie - I do not believe it has been lifted since it has the same ride height as the new one and other stock units I have tested. I had my mechanic check it and he did not mention anything like that. However while I have him replacing the main seal and other leaking items I will go ahead and get the lugs and bushings replaced as well.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Thanks for the responses. Reading through this forum is great to learn different issues that have been identified the hard way. Hopefully as I read more and wrench on my own I will be able to contribute also.

Carlton - That is what my thoughts are on it after looking at the Death Wobble videos and the threads to change the lugs I strongly believe that my mechanic would have seen that issues since he was under the vehicle pulling on the tie rods and back and forth along them.

Jurie - I do not believe it has been lifted since it has the same ride height as the new one and other stock units I have tested. I had my mechanic check it and he did not mention anything like that. However while I have him replacing the main seal and other leaking items I will go ahead and get the lugs and bushings replaced as well.
I had the stability/traction control kick in on me once when I first got a JKU. It about have me a heart attack lol.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jurie

Yes I am considering having the 9/16 conversion done. I am going to print the info all out and share it with my mechanic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts