Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question.... Would it be ok to do a 1-2" coil spacer lift onto of a 2" bds lift kit to obtain 3" of lift before moving up to a bigger lift later in year. Would be adding a ml. Couldn't really find much on adding spacers onto lifts besides leveling kits.
Thank you

·
Registered
238 Posts
A "spacer" and a "leveling kit" are essentially the same thing. A quick fix for adding a heavy bumper or a winch. A 1 or 2 inch spacer is a way to see how much lift you'll need for bigger tires, etc. before you buy the proper springs. Remember to install proper shocks and bump stops before you wheel it

·
Registered
581 Posts
I thought this was okay until I heard someone say it can produce coil bind. I don't know what that is or how it happens with aftermarket springs.

·
Registered
238 Posts
It can cause coil bind, thats where the bump stop extensions come into play. If your suspension compresses too far, before axle hits bump stop, all of the coils on the spring come in contact with each other and could ruin the spring. Tons of good threads about it. Search coil bind

·
Registered
581 Posts
It can cause coil bind, thats where the bump stop extensions come into play. If your suspension compresses too far, before axle hits bump stop, all of the coils on the spring come in contact with each other and could ruin the spring. Tons of good threads about it. Search coil bind
Okay, thanks for letting me know. I'll look it up.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Leveling kits are spacers but at small increments correct? I currently have the 2" bds and a 1.25" jks bl with 33s. I would rub without the body lift but now with it on the shocks are fully traveled on either side when flexing. So what i want to do is just set the bump stops and add the spacers on for the height. Im not worried about the travel for now as its fine until I do it the right way for the height I want now with 33s. Before I had 31s with the 2".

·
Registered
238 Posts
If your shocks where bottoming out before the spacer lift, you might find your coil springs, as the new limiting factor,binding after. Among other things you might need to do , add bump stop extensions before you ruin a shock or spring

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I haven't done a spacer yet. 2" of suspension. Yes I know i need to extend the factory bump stops but for now I'm just staying of the climbs more until I get them set correct. I didn't have a problem before because I was rubbing before maxing them out. When I do the spacers I will do bumpstops too
So i would be ok with a 1-1.5" coil spacer?

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
So i would be ok with a 1-1.5" coil spacer?
Measure the space between the upper coil bucket and the bottom of the bump stop cup. This is the space where your compressed coil fits when the axle is at full bump. Then count how many turns your coil spring makes and multiply that by the diameter of you coil wire. This is the height of your coil at bind. Then do the math comparing the first and second measurements. That will give you an idea of how much spacer you can safely squeeze in.

I have 2" of spring lift with a 10mm (~3/8") spacer on the front with plenty of room left before coil bind.

Spacers on top of coils are frowned upon especially if you are trying gain inches of height. But doing the math and understanding the mechanics of what is happening will allow you to cheat a bit.

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
Short answer from someone who has done it on multiple jeeps and never had a problem.. yes go for it.. Just make sure its bumped stopped correctly.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Leveling spacers are usually only 3/4" to 1". Any more than that may/will cause coil bind if you disconnect the front links.

Not sure if it was explained above, but when the coils are compressed to where the coils are touching one other, that is coil bind.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
Leveling spacers are usually only 3/4" to 1". Any more than that may/will cause coil bind if you disconnect the front links.

The sway bar has nothing to do with preventing coil bind, if the threat exists on a given Jeep. Any well placed speed bump or parking lot entrance will easily take a Jeep to full hard bump (or bind if that is the case).

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
The sway bar has nothing to do with preventing coil bind, if the threat exists on a given Jeep. Any well placed speed bump will easily take a Jeep to full hard bump (or bind if that is the case).
Ya pretty much have to jump the jeep to get it to bottom out like that. :)

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys for the help. I prefer to do it the right way but when I start working again in the summer I will add the spacers while I save up for the new kit. And wheeling will be very limited even if I can get out at all so chances are I wont even be crawling or anything
Thanks

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Do you think 1.5"-1.75" would be too much?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Short answer from someone who has done it on multiple jeeps and never had a problem.. yes go for it.. Just make sure its bumped stopped correctly.
I have had the same experience as this post. No issues with running coil spacers as long as you bump stop correctly. They are not the ideal way to lift your rig, but they won't harm your rig. Worst case is that several years from now your springs may sag a little if they bind up all the time, and that won't happen if you bump stop correctly. I ran them on top of my lift coils on my last rig for over 10 years without any issues.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No this for front and back. I would do it the correct way but for now I can't wheel as much as i want until june and thats when i start working again so I will save for a new lift kit. The 2" was great for my 33s but I need more than 3" for my 33s to be happy haha. I just want to add some height for the time being and be able to work on it

1 - 20 of 20 Posts