Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've owned this 98 for about a year now. It has bedliner in the tub and has had since I bought it. It's always been hot inside going down the road but I'm wondering if this is normal to this extent. My floor gets so hot you can barely put your hand on it,even a drink in the console cup holder gets extremely hot. Literary feels like your riding down the road in an oven. Oh yeah and the exhaust is even wrapped.

·
Registered
271 Posts
So I've owned this 98 for about a year now. It has bedliner in the tub and has had since I bought it. It's always been hot inside going down the road but I'm wondering if this is normal to this extent. My floor gets so hot you can barely put your hand on it,even a drink in the console cup holder gets extremely hot. Literary feels like your riding down the road in an oven. Oh yeah and the exhaust is even wrapped.
I have the same issue in my 2006, however I just have the metal showing and no bedliner. I just keep quadretec mats on the floor and that helps. I can never keep a drink in the cup holder unless I want it to melt.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts

Nope. They get hot. I got my 05 tj rhino lined, 2015 jk raptor lined and my 04 rubicon still has the carpet and all three will cook you. Put the carpet back in the jk. Sold the 05 tj. My 04 with the carpet in cooks you. Probably gonna add some dynamat to it. Someday.
Right now I’m just hoping for snow!!
:beerdrinking:

Reactions: info4tim

·
Registered
819 Posts
The floor, tranny hump and console get HOT, and I drive barefoot. The bare metal would burn the sh*t out of me, so the carpet stays in along with Weather Tech floor mats. It still gets pretty warm, but it's tolerable.

It's a Jeep thing... :shrug:

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I had this same issue with my 2000 4.0. I often wondered if it was due to the engine skid I had installed heeping more heat in.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Posts
I take it the carpet has also been removed.

With the carpet removed, the radiant heat is intolerable during the summer. I'd prefer to keep the rear windows removed and only have carpet up front, but even that is too hot without constant airflow.

·
Super Moderator
62,805 Posts
I don't guess I ever noticed it. I drove my TJ for 9yrs(215K) with just bare floors. I'm in east Alabama, but my A/C always worked :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah my AC works, but I almost never have my windows in so it doesn't do a whole lot of good.

·
Super Moderator
2,852 Posts
Lizard skin makes a ceramic heat insulation that sprays in. Kind of looks like a bedliner but it’s not as durable. It works excellent at reducing heat! Not the cheapest product but well worth it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lizard skin makes a ceramic heat insulation that sprays in. Kind of looks like a bedliner but it’s not as durable. It works excellent at reducing heat! Not the cheapest product but well worth it.
Be kind of hard to do since there's already bedliner down

·
Registered
765 Posts
Bedrug and Quadratec mats, floor is fine. Cup holder, forget it, good for keeping your coffee hot but anything cold, ain't for long.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm getting ready to do an AW4 swap. I wonder if it's gonna get hotter or cooler with the auto...

·
Super Moderator
2,852 Posts
Be kind of hard to do since there's already bedliner down
Agreed but still good info for anyone else. I have used it multiple times and it is excellent! To be honest with you... If you were running carpet I'd lay it over the bedliner and wouldn't think twice about it..

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've honestly thought about putting carpet back in it, but with beach sand and dust from wheeling it's awfully nice to be able to just rinse it out. IDK, I'm torn

·
Registered
271 Posts
I've honestly thought about putting carpet back in it, but with beach sand and dust from wheeling it's awfully nice to be able to just rinse it out. IDK, I'm torn

I am the same way, sometimes when we get a rainstorm and rain comes at an angle, my passenger floor board will fill up with water and my carpet would stink. So i think I will just stick with the hot legs, its quite nice for the winter though!

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I drive mine daily with no carpet. I don't even notice the heat anymore... I do like the easy clean of bare floors. Low maintenance and there is no chance of holding on to any moisture. I am allergic to mold and mildew, so I just rather run with naked floors.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Make sure you have the second boot that is on the shifter under the console, screwed to the tunnel. If it is gone or torn up, it lets hot engine air blow directly into the cab. Mine was torn up (dry-rotted) and I ordered a new one online. While the console was removed, I wrapped/stuck SS tape around the underside of the cup holders and console container. I also added a few layers directly to the tunnel. I then used a can of spray foam and filled the cavities up where I could. Now my drinks stay cooler a lot longer and my feet don't burn.

Reactions: NakedJeeper

·
Registered
281 Posts
My 4 banger/5 speed with spray in bed liner would run you out of the cab in the summer until I repaired the second boot on the shifter. Things got much better. Next I installed BedMat I think that's what it's called, it got quite a bit better,( if I get water inside I do have to pull it out and let it dry, sucks). The one thing that helped the most, I put a ball valve inline on the hot side heater hose to stop hot water from circulating thru the heater core. Now I can drive around in 90 degrees weather with minimal discomfort. I don't even think A/C could have over come that much heat. I like the idea of foaming the under side of the console, especially around the cup holders.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts