Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've scoured the service manual and Google images trying to sort out if my 94 YJ "HAD" ABS or what exactly is missing. Previous owner stated he rebuilt the calipers and the master cylinder which could mean he tossed out the ABS.

Appreciate your help identifying...

This looks like it could be an ABS sensor...
View attachment 4174741

Something was mounted here given the bolts and harness
View attachment 4174743

Bonus: no idea what this is...

View attachment 4174745

Attachments

·
Registered
9,000 Posts

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1 yes that's an abs sensor
https://www.ebay.com/p/ABS-Wheel-Speed-Sensor-Fits-Jeep-Wrangler-TJ-94-95-YJ-Rear-Left-Driver-Side/1578218301
2 yep that's where your abs was
3 cheesy aftermarket gizmo... possibly an alarm
Thanks for the confirmation...

Now the decision is—whether to get ABS put back together.
Being a DD on the streets of LA, I lock up the brakes almost daily. Yeah, I let up to regain traction but it’s also kinda fun to see the other drivers’ face when they hear my tires scrubbing pavement and a steel bumper coming at them.

However, there could be a time I need ABS for those inches.

John D

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
I have a 97 tj w abs and a bad pump/module... looks to be VERY pricey to replace... probably the same for you.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
well your question inspired me so I went out tore into mine the wires going to the motor for the pump had absolutely no insulation left on them and one was chewed halfway through.

I pulled the motor off tore it apart, snipped the wires off and soldered some new wires into the motor. Then I took the plug apart pulled the terminals out tore them open and soldered the wires to them.

Put it all back together and it amazingly works... not sure if it will stop as well as a skilled driver w non abs tho...

·
Premium Member
2,844 Posts

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,910 Posts
Take the cheesy aftermarket gizmo off and look on the back for what brand it might be.
Google the brand name and look for installation instructions. Reverse the instructions to remove it from the vehicle. If it's an alarm with an immobileiser, and if you don't have the remote or know how to work it, you could be in a lot of trouble if it decides to prevent your Jeep from starting.

As far as the anti-lock brakes go, I'm in the same frame of mind as Gottagofast, "not sure if it'll stop as well as a skilled driver with non-anti-lock brakes".

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
I did go for a test drive today and they did a couple of neat things.... one thing was I put the right tires in the grass w the left tires on asphault at about 45 mph and STOMPED the brakes.... pulled left and had to steer right a little but it stopped fast without locking up... then I tried braking hard through a 20' long patch of cinders on the road... again it worked well.... I think the conclusion is that since I have it I like it at least for now but I don't think I'd spend several hundred $$$ to add it.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Take the cheesy aftermarket gizmo off and look on the back for what brand it might be.
Google the brand name and look for installation instructions. Reverse the instructions to remove it from the vehicle. If it's an alarm with an immobileiser, and if you don't have the remote or know how to work it, you could be in a lot of trouble if it decides to prevent your Jeep from starting.

As far as the anti-lock brakes go, I'm in the same frame of mind as Gottagofast, "not sure if it'll stop as well as a skilled driver with non-anti-lock brakes".

Good Luck, L.M.

Thanks L.M...
Yeah there is an immobilizer “somewhere” but this thing didn’t look to be spliced into the harness. I’ll do as you recommend.

Regarding the ABS, I can do without it but my son will likely inherit the YJ in a couple of years.

John D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts