Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a set of 16x8 Cepek DC-2s with 315/75s KM2s. I have an OEM 2" Mopar lift as well.

I want to play with the look of my Jeep by pushing the wheels out for a wider track. The only offroading I do are light trails and beach runs a few times a year with the family throughout the spring and summer, so nothing hardcore.

Can I mount 1.5" adapters (Spidertrax) or will it mess something up?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Thousands of us use 'spacers' (more correctly, adaptors) to re-use our factory wheels.

Whether it is a greater off-set wheel, or a spacer setup, the resulting forces on your suspension are the same - that being, you'll have more twist on your hubs the further out your wheels are.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, cool. Thanks.

So basically, it'll increase the torsion on the hub, but it won't (like 99% of the time) cause any destruction of property or carry a risk of death.

I want to try it out but I don't want to damage anything. I don't see many with aftermarket wheels saying that they use spacers.

·
Super Moderator
15,478 Posts
OK, cool. Thanks.

So basically, it'll increase the torsion on the hub, but it won't (like 99% of the time) cause any destruction of property or carry a risk of death.

I want to try it out but I don't want to damage anything. I don't see many with aftermarket wheels saying that they use spacers.
The problem is that you are already at 4" back spacing, which is 2" less than stock. 3.75" is usually the minimum recommended back spacing at that is to run 37" tires. You are trying to get down to about 2.5" back spacing...

Most of us run 5.0 to 4.5.

I wouldn't do it...

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Advice taken. Those numbers don't leave me with a warm and fuzzy.

It kind of felt like a bad idea from the start. I'm glad I asked.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I'm running 1.5" spacers with 9 inch wide wheels (4.5" BS). My 35's were rubbing my control arms on one side at full steering lock. I had a friend with a set of spacers which he had used with stock wheels, so I decided to try them. I like the look of the wider stance with my flat flares.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just went ahead and installed them. After hours of research the general consensus is that you'll possibly wear out the unit bearings and ball joints prematurely (mostly within 30k-50k miles).

That's a total of $300 in parts and an afternoon in the shop every 2-3 years with an excuse to beef up the tie rod for another $350. I can live with that.

I love the look after seeing it on my own ride; and I can now see that there are TONS of people riding on spacers in the area.

I'll update every 6 months.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I've got 30mm H&R spacers on mine with 17x8.5 ET0 which puts me around 3.5"-3.25" net backspacing. I welded on C-gussets and I run 37x12.50-17 General Grabber X3s. I wheel it, I DD it, and I feel totally comfortable doing so. I used to be on the "don't ever use spacers" bandwagon too, until I wanted to jump to 37s without having to get different wheels, then I said f*it, I'm putting them on.

That was almost a year ago, no problems!

EDIT: ok, one problem. when i installed the 30mm spacers, i found that the rear lug studs are longer than the front ones (and longer than 30mm apparently) so I had to trim the rear studs to get them to fit. Other than that, no problems!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts