Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 35" tires and was installing my tailgate support bracket but while doing so I happened to drop a washer into the screw hole of the tailgate. Since it fell in and I can't get to it I decided to keep on going. Now that the setup is complete I can hear the washer clang around every time I dive over the slightest road imperfection and it's driving me nuts. Is there any way for me to open up the tailgate so that I can retrieve the washer? I can't seem to really find a way.

·
Registered
661 Posts
^:thumb: Snap off the plastic moldings from the inside of the tailgate and go fishing with a telescoping magnetic pickup or pronged retrieval tool. Depending on where it is sitting you may be better off removing one of the spare tire bumps and going in there.

·
Registered
796 Posts
The magnet trick often works but on a few occasions I've had better luck with a haywire hook.

·
Registered
910 Posts
or take off the rear tire and vent flaps piece and fish from there.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I have one of those spring claws but it's a tad too wide to fit in the screw holes. I wound up being able to see it through the vent holes and fished it out with a hanger. It only took me about 10 minutes to get it once I located it. I thought it would have taken me at least an hour and 1000 attempts.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I have one of those spring claws but it's a tad too wide to fit in the screw holes. I wound up being able to see it through the vent holes and fished it out with a hanger. It only took me about 10 minutes to get it once I located it. I thought it would have taken me at least an hour and 1000 attempts.
Go buy a lottery ticket NOW! :) Good job.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts