Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to break an open d44 and d30 on 28's or any other driveline component on an easy to moderate trail.

Thanks CMA_Rider

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick answer.

Im looking at going to prentice cooper on haley road and there is a section that they call the steps Prentice Cooper "The Steps" - YouTube and I just wanted to make sure that it is unlikely.

fast foward to about 1:25

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Yes. I broke a D44 on the street. Broken control arm helped out a lot that led to twisted DS and eventually ring and pinion teeth being chewed up.

Carnage

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes. I broke a D44 on the street. Broken control arm helped out a lot that led to twisted DS and eventually ring and pinion teeth being chewed up.

Carnage
What caused this? Were you trying to spin the tires or did you spin the tires on wet pavement and transition to dry pavement? This is typical carnage from these events.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
You got it. Drop-shifted from rolling back going uphill on dry asphalt. I heard something pop/bang but ignored it. After a week of occasional knocks, I finally got around to crawling under and had two sheared control arms. The week of driving around with only lowers allowing my axle to rotate freely wore down the U joints causing the DS to bind on the pinion which disintegrated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts