Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have a bunch of friends that have wranglers and the debate is always over automatic vs manual. What do you guys think? Is it that horrible to have an automatic or is it acceptable now adays?

Thanks.:)

·
Marine Jeeper
5,399 Posts
This is a debate that has been around for a while. I prefer manual, but a lot of people I know prefer an auto. It's all about personal preference. You will find that in serious off roading, an auto will be easier and may perform better than a manual. I like my stick because it gives me a little more of a challenge when 4 wheeling, making it more fun for me.

·
Registered
621 Posts
it all gets down to choice... what your comfortable with. off road, i have read the auto is where its at. in my 20's i loved hand shakers. but now i do autos. my new 12 is auto. i find it perfect for me.

·
Registered
704 Posts
So i have a bunch of friends that have wranglers and the debate is always over automatic vs manual. What do you guys think? Is it that horrible to have an automatic or is it acceptable now adays?

Thanks.:)
Quick, someone freeze/close this thread before a fight breaks out!

Obviously, it's personal preference. I'll just say that (i) the 2012 Wrangler 5-speed auto is not like the auto trannies of decades past, when the manual 4x4 tannies were arguably objectively better than the autos; and (ii) you can't easily do BTM with a manual. I used to be a manual-only guy, but switched about ten years ago. It's definitely not "horrible."

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I've had both, prefer the auto. The 2012 auto is surprisingly nice.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ha okay. I personally have an auto and love it. It is all about preference as all you said though. Just like to hear what everyone else thinks and start a fun debate. =)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Auto. . keep the shifting to the sports cars. . ive had both in a jeep and prefer the auto . . now in my mustang. . stick all the way

·
Registered
370 Posts
Geeeezz man,live your own life. What are you,a puppet? :wavey:
The OP has a valid question. The '12 sticks have had quite a few problems reported so far, and the automatics, not so much. If someone hasn't had much experience off road when buying a new Jeep (like me and lots of other people), the realization that automatics are preferred in a many situations was a revelation.

I've always had at least one vehicle that was stick (still do), but after driving both the '12 stick and automatic, and putting about 4k miles on my new JKR with auto, I'm totally happy with my choice.

·
Registered
98 Posts
:popcorn: Just buy 2 Jeeps, one manual and one automatic...

I had this debate over Thanksgiving, and ended up ordering an auto JK Rubicon on 12/12. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

·
Premium Member
3,647 Posts
It was never "unacceptable" to have an automatic. As has been said already, its personal preference. But there will always be individuals out there that are hardcore manual types and others that are hardcore automatic types. In the end, its whatever is most comfortable for you. I chose automatic, why?? Well partially because my wife drives it, though not very often, and partially because I do more city driving and didnt want to have to worry about shifting. Another thing to take into consideration is, in the off chance of something happening, medical wise, any passenger can drive the automatic in a pinch, manual, not so much. Just my .02

·
Really liking the Jeep...
1,956 Posts
My nephew got a 2-door stick in Dozer and I have a 4-door auto, both 2012 Rubicons.
He's back from overseas, but still demobilizing until later this week. Luckily he got some leave time and picked his Jeep up this weekend.

We have the key-swap planned for the coming weekend. I can hardly wait to see what the 2-door stick is like to drive by comparison.

I'll be taking photos of course! (Though not while driving. -that's careless.)

Anyone who gives you crap for your Jeep transmission choice is a douche, straight up.
(sorry for the language)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My nephew got a 2-door stick in Dozer and I have a 4-door auto, both 2012 Rubicons.
He's back from overseas, but still demobilizing until later this week. Luckily he got some leave time and picked his Jeep up this weekend.

We have the key-swap planned for the coming weekend. I can hardly wait to see what the 2-door stick is like to drive by comparison.

I'll be taking photos of course! (Though not while driving. -that's careless.)

Anyone who gives you crap for your Jeep transmission choice is a douche, straight up.
(sorry for the language)
Well said and nice Jeep. I have the 2011 unlimited Natural Green Pearl Coat.

·
Registered
575 Posts
what about resale value?? I have heard autos hold their value a bit better than manuals.

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
APPSTATEwrangler said:
what about resale value?? I have heard autos hold their value a bit better than manuals.
Say what?

Actually never heard such a thing.
There is going to be a lot more autos on the road, which means- it's going to be harder to find a manual, if your not ordering new.

I would think the opposite :confused:

·
Registered
738 Posts
I will leave the slush boxes for the 4 door soccer moms

:flipoff:

·
Registered
575 Posts
there is a reason there are more autos on the road these days....

not that i am worried about selling mine...haha

1 - 20 of 71 Posts