Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I personally think it's weird to just take the doors off and leave the hard top on but with the nice weather I want to take them off but have no one to help me with the hard top. What do you guys think about having the hard top on with the doors off haha

·
Registered
910 Posts
My buddy does it. But, he can remove his hardtop by himself too.

·
Super Moderator
6,898 Posts
remove all bolts and front clips, open rear window, slide top back a foot or so, get under it and lift. it doesnt weigh that much, just awkward as can be.

much easier to do with a second set of hands

·
Registered
418 Posts
I got an electric winch I had installed in my garage so I can get the hard top off or put it back on by myself. But honestly, it's still kind of a pain. By the time you mess around with the seat-belt like straps, getting them tightened around it in the right spots and removing them again -- not to mention getting the Jeep parked directly under the hoist ... It's faster to just have a helper and you grab each side and lift the thing off or back on.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I'm not saying that I should, but I can install and remove my fiberglass cap on my shortbed Silverado by myself. My back does not like it at all, but I can do it.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I sometimes run doorless with the hardtop on, it creates more wind turbulence and cross winds inside the cab because the hardtop scoops up the wind. I've also removed my hardtop by myself. It's extremely awkward size and shape to handle alone, the last time I did it I almost dropped it and I decided after that I would only do that if I have no other choice.

·
Registered
632 Posts
remove all bolts and front clips, open rear window, slide top back a foot or so, get under it and lift. it doesnt weigh that much, just awkward as can be.

much easier to do with a second set of hands

It's also going to be unbalanced due to the weight of the back glass, it's doable but not ideal...or fun!

·
Registered
312 Posts
nope.... do what feels right

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hey man, to each is own! I just got a Hoister brand hard top hoist and installed it in my garage, literally takes 3-5 minutes now to take it on and off.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I think it's weird to not want to remove the doors! :)

I haven't swapped out my hard top for soft for the spring yet but in the meantime, I frequently run around town without doors. It feels right!

·
Registered
615 Posts
If the weather is good enough to remove the doors then its time to switch to the soft top, then you can go topless as well

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
I use to two kayak ratchet straps and hoist my top off.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts