Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It it with the money and will I see the difference in either or? I don't want to drop the money and get nothing out of it. I hear two different story's and was the to know what the majority is here. Thanks guys!

ForumRunner_20140416_110142.jpg

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
It depends on what you want..... performance and increased fuel mileage..... not worth the money!
Bad ass sound....... your choice.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
^Nailed it.

There's almost no performance gain to be made from any air intake mod to these engines. First, it's not even a cool air intake, no matter what they call it. It pulls the exact same underhood air as the stock airbox, and is routed virtually the same (so no elimination of chokepoints in the tubing). A true CAI would have to reach low, behind the bumper to get cooler air, and that would be disastrous. Every puddle would have a huge risk of throwing water into the airflow to destroy the engine.

Second, there are only two reasons to replace a throttle body. One is to get improved engine response...I've seen this result firsthand on my old Ford Focus. I replaced the factory 50mm throttle body with a modified 65mm throttle body from a Mustang 4.6 and the difference was enormous. I wouldn't expect that kind of change from the 3.6 because it's computer controlled. The other reason is to improve airflow, which is only a possibility if the throttle body is a chokepoint. The OE throttle body isn't. I'm big into classic cars as well, and in that community you see people throwing the biggest carburetor they can find on an engine...it doesn't work that way. Not only does your engine (a large air pump, really) only flow a certain amount of air, opening up the intake too much slows the speed of airflow which has negative impacts. I'm sure none of the aftermarket throttle bodies for the JK will be that big, of course.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you ever plan on wheeling anywhere that is prone to having standing water on the trail or creeks/rivers to cross, then I would keep your airbox. Down here in Florida we can get a heavy rain and leaves water in the low spots on the trails. Some guy gets stuck and wallows out ruts deep enough that you can get water in the engine from what looks like an average mud hole in the trail. They do sound nice on the pavement or up high in the rocks though.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have buddies that are into tuner cars and swear by the cold air intakes. Of course they will admit it may be just the halo effect (in otherwords....all in their head).

That being said, would a snorkel air intake be considered a cold air intake?

·
RETIRED MODERATER
36,231 Posts
I have buddies that are into tuner cars and swear by the cold air intakes. Of course they will admit it may be just the halo effect (in otherwords....all in their head).

That being said, would a snorkel air intake be considered a cold air intake?[/QUOTE]

^^^To truly have a Cold air intake, it has to intake air away from the heated engine compartment, and yes, a snorkel, does just that.....:thumb:

·
Registered
1,256 Posts

Nobody really thinks of it that way, but yeah it is.

Intake mods can have a massive effect on the right engine (and if you have other mods that compliment it). But there's not really a bottleneck in the factory air intake...adding a CAI is trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. If you're buying it for the look and sound, that's one thing. But performance-wise, there's just not much to gain.

·
Retired Mod
11,135 Posts

It is always funny to think about...but yes....a snorkel is FAR closer to a cold air intake than the CAI kits you see around here which are just pulling in warm air from under the hood.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRkr2XVYJP8Km-rPkfxesucaXd2MhJCedHJAD7D6pnW2Jz_P7q2xw
This is one of the applications that the whole idea came from. Note that two of the headlamps were removed to allow the air ducts to pull air at that point.
And the result was something like this.
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSoKqHnMJ_nzx_odFHlR8ZlMAya-qQVY1wm1tV2YeGfX9l6nlKuLg

But they were also turning 427 cubic inches at 7000 rpm with dual quad carburetors. Requires a LOT more air!!!! A 3.6 or 3.8 liter at 6000 rpm= not so much. And if one is only turning that at 2000 rpm= not much air required.
Sorry, couldn't get the pics to directly copy and paste, but one can follow the links. The first is of a true "cold" air intake. The air is not any colder than ambient temp

·
Registered
499 Posts
I run a CAI on my 2010 Wrangler and, there are no noticeable performance gains at all.
The rice crowd thinks it's cool and, combined with my aftermarket exhaust, it IS loud.
As far as water intrusion, I don't think it is any worse then a stock intake at all.
On the CAI, you have this massive cone that may or may not get wet.
I live in Florida and I have had it is some pretty deep water. The cone has gotten wet but, it is not like water mist that might get sucked into the throttle body will hydro-lock you.
And if you run an oil soaked filter, the water will pretty much bead off of the oil and not penetrate.
Obviously if you sink the thing, you are screwed but so far, I have had no problem even when up to the headlights for over 10 minutes while driving.

·
Retired Mod
11,135 Posts
As far as I know...no one makes a "true" CAI for a Wrangler anyway.

The reason why a CAI is a hydrolock concern is because a true CAI will pull air from down low. You will see a lot of rams, and short rams called CAI's, but they are not really CAI's. Real CAI's don't pull air from "under" the hood...they pull cooler, denser air (and as you know, cool air falls while warm air rises, so cool air is closer to the ground), from down low..often in a fender.

Like this...

·
Registered
354 Posts
In addition to all the previous information, I believe the Pentastar uses a speed density system. No MAF sensor. The computer would have to be remapped in order to truly see the extra air. If anything, you would run a little lean after installing one.

·
Registered
235 Posts
If you are getting it as a stand alone mod, save the cash. However, if you are planning to purchase an exhaust and tuner then go for it. There is a thread on here that shows dyno numbers from an intake and exhaust and there was an increase in power, not surprising considering that is the purpose of both. I have stated before that the reason behind my intake, exhaust and tuner is to help offset the massive weight increase of the 35" MT's. I am in no position to go the supercharged/turbocharged route, so any little bit of gained HP helps out and I can assure you that I have not LOST any power with the trio. It all depends on what you are planning to do with your Jeep.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
If you are getting it as a stand alone mod, save the cash. However, if you are planning to purchase an exhaust and tuner then go for it. There is a thread on here that shows dyno numbers from an intake and exhaust and there was an increase in power, not surprising considering that is the purpose of both. I have stated before that the reason behind my intake, exhaust and tuner is to help offset the massive weight increase of the 35" MT's. I am in no position to go the supercharged/turbocharged route, so any little bit of gained HP helps out and I can assure you that I have not LOST any power with the trio. It all depends on what you are planning to do with your Jeep.
This.

You'll get more bang for the buck with one paired with a decent exhaust. It won't be a dramatic difference in HP, but noticeable. Yeah, they aren't a "true" CAI due to filter placement, blah, blah, blah. But the headlight area on ANY vehicle is a high-pressure zone, and putting a large open filter behind it is going to be better than the center of the engine bay. The cross-sectional area of the OEM airbox snout is tiny, and no doubt restrictive to a point. You won't see any significant fuel mileage gains with a CAI, so get that out of your head right off the bat.

There is so much misinformation on CAIs on this forum it makes my head spin. I've used them to positive effect on four Mustangs, the craziest was my '07 GT500. I'm all for getting every ounce of power out of a DD vehicle while avoiding mods that might cause issue down the road.

However, if your intended primary use of the Jeep is extremely dusty off-road conditions, you might give pause. But if you're on road most of the time like the majority of Wranglers, you probably won't have any problems.

Me, I'd order a Magnuson huffer tomorrow if funds would permit. And it would have some sort of CAI to go along with it.

·
Retired Mod
11,135 Posts
This.

You'll get more bang for the buck with one paired with a decent exhaust. It won't be a dramatic difference in HP, but noticeable. Yeah, they aren't a "true" CAI due to filter placement, blah, blah, blah. But the headlight area on ANY vehicle is a high-pressure zone, and putting a large open filter behind it is going to be better than the center of the engine bay. The cross-sectional area of the OEM airbox snout is tiny, and no doubt restrictive to a point. You won't see any significant fuel mileage gains with a CAI, so get that out of your head right off the bat.

There is so much misinformation on CAIs on this forum it makes my head spin. I've used them to positive effect on four Mustangs, the craziest was my '07 GT500. I'm all for getting every ounce of power out of a DD vehicle while avoiding mods that might cause issue down the road.

However, if your intended primary use of the Jeep is extremely dusty off-road conditions, you might give pause. But if you're on road most of the time like the majority of Wranglers, you probably won't have any problems.

Me, I'd order a Magnuson huffer tomorrow if funds would permit. And it would have some sort of CAI to go along with it.
It is a Wrangler, not a Mustang or any other sports car. And I don't mean that in an off-road sort of way...I mean it in a "if not off-road, it is being used like an everday SUV" sort of way.

The issue isn't if a proper intake, tune, and exhaust can or can't provide "more" power (I believe high quaility parts CAN provide a boost in certain vehicles).

The issue is that it is a Wrangler with a modern 3.6, so "where" in the power band that the additional power is provided in real world conditions becomes quite important.

How much real world boost are you getting in the 1800-2800 RPM range?....which is where I'm guessing most people spend a majority of their time in this particular vehicle. Are you going to drop $1000 to gain 5 or 6 HP at the rear wheels while giving your dealer an easy warranty out if they want to be jerks?

·
Registered
444 Posts
I got banks ram air and my muffler was replaced with a raptor muffler from auto zone
It actually sounds really good and my dash is reading 2mpg improvement and it goes into overdrive and Eco now. (I have 35s with 3.73)
I haven't gotten the chance to actually calculate mine though since it's been in and out of the shop for the fuel regurgitation issue
You should do both at the same time

·
Registered
830 Posts
generally ass dyno's are highly affected by sound. Often a CAI or exhaust will move the power curve up, you may get more HP but may sacrifice lower RPM HP or torque. could be anything. Anyone here do enough dyno runs on stock and then with CAI to have actual data? That's the only way to know for sure.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts