Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want a 4.0 so im selling the white devil (name drivin because my jeep hates me) is a rubicon worth the extra 5 or 6 grand?

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
well, depends.. can you add the dana 44's, lockers 4:1 and lower gears for less than 5 to 6k, if you can then no its not a value..if you can't then yes.. Over all rubi's are a very nice option.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Also depends if you are going to wheel the Jeep enough to actually need the dana 44's, lockers, 4:1 and lower gears. 44's would also be beneficial if you plan on putting on anything bigger then 33's.

·
Registered
340 Posts
ive had a 99 SE, 00 Sport and now I have my 03 Rubi.... YES it is worth it!!!

·
Knows a couple things...
49,403 Posts
Having had a '97 Sport (stolen earlier this year) and now an '04 Rubicon I bought used, I miss my Sport. The only thing I really like about my Rubicon is its 4:1 transfer case which is good for my rock crawling interests but isn't a good ratio for any 4x4 needs where you need wheelspeed to get through like deep mud or snow. If I had it all to do over again, I would have bought a stock Sport and installed my own 4:1 and different f/r lockers. :)

·
Registered
305 Posts
I agree 110% with Jerry. Remember the Rubi "D44" axles are not true D44's. They are a hybrid of D44 gears and just about all the rest are D35 parts and housing tubes. So the weak link in the Rubi 44 axles is still D35 strength parts.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The Rubicon gets you...

- dana 44 axles, front and rear, which are stronger and can handle bigger tires
- locking differentials, front and rear
- 4:11 gears in the diffs
- the 241 transfer case, which has a 4:1 low range (great for slow crawling) and solid yokes (stronger than the standard slip yokes)
- diamond plate rocker guards
- if it's a JK, you get push-button swaybar disconnects
- a "Rubicon" sticker to let everyone know that you're super hard core :)

If you want to put on 35 inch tires and a 6 inch lift, get the Rubicon. You'll want the extra strength. If you're only doing light wheeling and plan on keeping it mostly stock, it's not worth the money.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,403 Posts
Biggest thing you have to remember, it will always be a Rubicon versus a sport with bolt on stuff. A rubicon will always be worth more because of what it is.
I dunno, I'd pay more for a Sport with a 4:1 and ARB lockers than I would a Rubicon and its less desirable lockers like I ended up with. :)

·
Commercial MemberX
8,641 Posts
Well I know you would lol.....but 90 percent of the people on the market don't want someones project (myself included). Its the same as a muscle car the way I see it, whats a Nova restomod worth with a 502 in it versus a real Yenko nova with documentation?

·
Registered
864 Posts
To me no . I,m not going to off road not going to rock crawl . I,m just going to drive my Wrangler and have fun .

BANGER

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
We use 4 low in mud up here all the time. But then again we usually will be 4low on the tcase and 2nd or 3rd in the trans. The rubi 4:1 is way too low for most of the wheeling we do out here, not enough wheel spin for our conditions.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So if I want a mudding jeep go for a sport? I like mudding more than rock crawling...

·
Registered
271 Posts
I agree 110% with Jerry. Remember the Rubi "D44" axles are not true D44's. They are a hybrid of D44 gears and just about all the rest are D35 parts and housing tubes. So the weak link in the Rubi 44 axles is still D35 strength parts.
I totally didn't know that. That's enough of a difference that I'm a bit worried now about mine. Source please?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Simply look up the parts, they are the same for both f. axles in the following;
Axle stub shaft
Axle u-joint
Unit bearing
Ball joints
Steering knuckle
Brake rotor, Brake calipher, brake pads, brake mtg. pins, brake lines, etc.
Now I know you can't look up part numbers for the inner "C's" but since the steering knuckle and ball joints are the same then so are they.
When modifying the caster and pinion angle by rotating the knuckle you have to cut off the welds, that exposes the axle tube, it was then that many of us discovered the tube wall thickness and diameter was the same as a D30.
Just noticed I made a typo, I meant to say the Rubi D44 is only as strong as a D30, not 35. when looking at the whole axle as an assembly.
I think calling the Rubi front axle a D44 is a misnomer, a D30hd is closer to the truth. But it still isn't accurate because where and how much of the D30 parts were used the GAWR can't be increased over what a stock D30 is rated.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I am not trying to say the Rubi is a bad Jeep, nor am I judging those who own them. In fact I have said quite the opposite in other discussions. I have said the Rubi is the most capable off road Jeep ever offered by the factory. I just think they really missed the mark when it came to that front axle, and the lockers were problematic at best in the early years, and still not that great now.
Just know what you are getting, consider the price tag, AND consider how you will use it. What friedfish said is very true, the vehicle does not make a good driver, skill does.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts