Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a few jeeps today and making offers. Is the media package realy worth it? $1500 is steep! I am more interested in a base rubicon with at least tow package. Most of the 2010s I find have media and upgrades I don't want.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I didn't get it.... If I had a chance to do it again I might go with the middle option just for the USB transfer.

I didn't want the GPS or the media screen. Wife has one in her vehicle and its hard to see at certain times plus its something else to worry about when out playing....Water/rain/mud etc

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
It's something else that can break and will be expensive to fix.

Lift and tires are a better 1500 dollars spent imo.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I say forget it. It's more stuff to break in the long run. I have a CD player and a heater in my YJ. That's good enough for me. Less stuff to worry about.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Depends if you're single or not. Every female friend I've shown my Jeep to, the only thing they're really impressed about is that a Jeep has Bluetooth, steering wheel controls, and a USB port. I didn't go for the full-on nav screen thing though. I've got a cool pocket watch with gps, email mp3 storage and all that stuff. It even has a phone!

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
I'll go a little against the grain here and say that unless you're planning on doing aftermarket audio equipment, you probably do want the sub for a daily driver. The speaker set up isn't exactly top notch (especially with wind noise etc.), so the sub helps.

I'm on board with most others about the nav stuff and the touchscreen.

However, the pool of 2010s is getting smaller and smaller. You might have to take what you can get.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I drive my Jeep daily to work and I really like my media center. Still can't stream audio from my IPhone but everything else is great. I do some additional driving around the state for work and really find the hands free operation helps me keep my eye on the road. The automatic notice of a phone call has helped mymarriage as I don't miss my husband's calls anymore when my phone is on silent.

I think the 1500 is retail. You probably can end up paying invoice. That was how mine worked out.

And, the media center is totally fun. Got a picture of my dog on the front of it that I see whenever I turn it on.

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
When Chrysler bought my first jeep back and I told them I wanted a Rubicon they sheepishly told me the replacement has a NAV and upgraded audio and asked if that would be OK. I asked if the sound system sounds good. I love great sounding audio systems and the original jeep which was the sahara unlimited the sound on the stock system, the one with the single cd player, really sucked. He said I wouldn't be disappointed. It's been two years and I'm still smiling. It was worth every penny because I didn't have to pull the stock one out and engineer a whole new system and with 42,000 miles in just over two years, the system has been great on the ears. I say, if you have the money, pamper yourself...get it.

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
^^ It depends on what the OP is looking for. If he wants a turn-key system that works fine, he might consider it. I can tell you it is not just the sound system that accounts for the added price. Upgraded speakers, power amplifier, NAV system, plays DVDs onto the display, was handy on a number of camp-outs that lasted over a week it was like going to the movies in the jeep. I don't have to put my NAV system in on every trip and it isn't an attractive nuisance for a possible low life to break a window and take it. I suppose they could take the whole stereo but the insurance will cover that. Those are some of the pluses that I can think of.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have a 2010 Rubi with the media package. I'm very happy with it so far. Personally I don't like to mess around with aftermarket systems, but to each his own.

The GPS on my Jeep is simple and easy to use. Much better user interface than others I have seen - my folks have an Audi and Lexus with GPS and those nav systems are unnecessarily complicated.

If you can afford it, I'd say go for it.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Depends if you're single or not. Every female friend I've shown my Jeep to, the only thing they're really impressed about is that a Jeep has Bluetooth, steering wheel controls, and a USB port. I didn't go for the full-on nav screen thing though. I've got a cool pocket watch with gps, email mp3 storage and all that stuff. It even has a phone!
I have one of those watches :)

I wanted one originally, but the dealer wouldn't play ball on changing anything (he had a valid reason, it was RHD, I got no complaints...), but I broke my old phone and since I had an upgrade available I went with an Incredible, and once I figured out how to operate it (somewhat...) I was glad I didn't have a NAV in the Jeep, because it easier to use the phone as a stereo (and just use the AUX on the stock radio) than to try and get everything networked together to use the stereo as a phone...

·
Registered
51 Posts
I picked up an almost new RBZ unit to replace my RES from e-bay for $250. It has all of the features that the media center has minus the Nav feature. This is the replacement for the older REN units. It was plug and play and only took a few minutes to install. The sound is not quite as good as my Lincoln MKX but good enough for me. And, I like the touch screen, it is fairly easy to see in all conditions, as the day and night brightness is totally adjustable from the touch screen.

·
Registered
143 Posts
My 2011 has the total media deal. Nav, hd, iPod, Bluetooth and DVD plus sat radio. Best money you can spend at the dealer I think.

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
^^ The whole point of a turn key system is you get in and drive and your ears feel pleasure. The cost is not critical for those who have $35,000.00 to purchase a Rubicon. Of course there are minimalists among us and those who love to torture themselves with engineering facts and funny installation positions that may throw your back out. I can count myself in the over 50 crowd and would rather throw my back out skiing, kayaking, backpacking, hiking, or maybe extreme mountain biking....not installing my stereo. So, this topic is certainly all relative to what the OP would want and what he is willing to do for it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
if you want a gps get an after market installed one that came with mine had to be replaced twice already and i have owned it only since july

·
Registered
359 Posts
I happen to get the jeep with all the bells and whistles(nav,bluetooth,steeringwheel controls,remote start) and the best thing about it is its a jeep i can still go th rough mud and snow like nothing and play but while im inside on work days it feels like i am driving a luxury truck its amazing, and one amazing this about the GPS they put in at least the 2011 sahara unlimited is, its a garmine gps so the funcionallity and accuracy of it is incredible. i highly recommend it

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have a 2013 Sahara with the navigation system and it sucks!!! Then to get the updates for it it costs just as much as a new free standing GPS with free lifetime updates. Just a money maker for Jeep and Garmin. I think its a rip off. I cant tell you how many times my GPS has been wrong. If I were to do it again I would have never gotten it.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I have a 2013 Sahara with the navigation system and it sucks!!! Then to get the updates for it it costs just as much as a new free standing GPS with free lifetime updates. Just a money maker for Jeep and Garmin. I think its a rip off. I cant tell you how many times my GPS has been wrong. If I were to do it again I would have never gotten it.
Glad you picked almost a 4 year old thread to tell us this.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts