Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Jeep is new to me, '98 Wrangler Sport, 5 speed. I've been working my way through, changing fluids, inspecting parts and coming up with a maintenance plan. My Jeep was driven by an older women who put about 6500 miles a year on, so I don't think this is off-road damage.

I'm planning on replacing differential fluid soon and slid under to check things out. It looks like the the cover is bent. I've attached photos. This is on the upper passenger side of the front cover. I've searched for photos, but can't find any showing the angle I need.

What should I do? Is this normal or do I need to replace it? If replacing, looking for suggestions. Anything else I should look for?

I do plan on doing a serious cleaning when I pull it apart.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
My Jeep is new to me, '98 Wrangler Sport, 5 speed. I've been working my way through, changing fluids, inspecting parts and coming up with a maintenance plan. My Jeep was driven by an older women who put about 6500 miles a year on, so I don't think this is off-road damage.

I'm planning on replacing differential fluid soon and slid under to check things out. It looks like the the cover is bent. I've attached photos. This is on the upper passenger side of the front cover. I've searched for photos, but can't find any showing the angle I need.

What should I do? Is this normal or do I need to replace it? If replacing, looking for suggestions. Anything else I should look for?

I do plan on doing a serious cleaning when I pull it apart.

Thanks.
That looks like the id tag for the axle that tells u gear ratio. Not a big deal nothing to worry about if that's what it is. It's just a little piece of stamped metal. Most people don't bother to put them back on when they change fluids

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
That's definitely the gear ratio tag. Mine got really chewed up when I put them back on after changing the fluid.

Make a note of what those tags say. We will be asking you what your axle gear ratio is when you ask us about putting 35" tires on your Jeep.:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome guys, thanks! I'll definitely record the info. Now time to get to work and clean those differentials up.

I want to say, "35's? I wouldn't need to go that big. 33's are all I'll need." But I know myself too well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts