Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had a local shop make a front shaft for my jeep based on my measurements. Installed it this afternoon and I'm worried i measured wrong. I expected a lot more slip yoke than i ended up with. Now I'm worried it's going to bottom out. See attached picture of installed ay ride height. Jack stands are under the axel if anyone is curious. Thanks for any help.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
387 Posts
I think you mean too long.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you mean too long.
Yea... you are correct. I meant the slip joint too short. But apparently I don't know how to make a coherent post lol. I'll edit it (never mind can't edit title...).

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: I flexed the driver side wheel as much as I could in the yard and was able to almost get it to bump stop. And still had about the same amount of slip joint left. I guess it's fine. Test drove and hit some decent woops at speed and didn't hear anything sound like it bottomed out.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Adams suggests a minimum of 1.5" of spline showing for "no issues at all", per the image below from their website. You look to be well under that. I will say be careful about going off of just flexing in the driveway, in my experience things tend to move a bit more when you get out onto a trail and start contorting things into unusual positions in the real world. But I don't know enough about this to say whether you really have a problem.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok thanks for the graphic. I talked to the driveshaft shop (responded to my email late on a friday, kudos). He agreed it looked short and said if I could bring it in they'd shorten it a bit for me. Perks of buying local it appears :)

·
Super Moderator
4,588 Posts
@JeepPOssible As odd as this may sound, I believe it is actually on extension that the drive shaft should get its shortest, not under suspension compression. This is because the control arms are shorter than the drive shaft. This would be for sure with the rear DS and I am pretty sure the front should be the same.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Definitely too long!!!
jmo

·
Premium Member
3,634 Posts
Too long.

Meanwhile, the title of this thread is somewhat risqué...

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Had 3/4" removed. Looks a bit better now.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts