Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been having problems on the highway with loss of power and shuttering.

I've replaced TPS, cleaned IAC and TB, replaced, air filter, cap, wires, plugs, pickup assembly, rotor and coil.
My engine like idles funny though.. Is 400+\- 100 rpm normal? It's usually on that line idling

image-1576067169.jpg

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Year and specs?

Your tach could be wrong, how does it run? Does it sound like its gonna die? Does it idle smooth or is it stumbling at that RPM?

If there seems to be nothing wrong, it otherwise idles smoothly, then adjust the throttle adjust up to around 700rpm. (assuming carb'd model)

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
95 2.5 MPFI is what I get from your info. 700-800 should be idle so you are going to have to see if you can adjust the idle but the idle motor on mine doesn't do much. While you are in there check the vacuum lines for age and operation. With the full tune up you would expect better and maybe a little FI Cleaner in the tank. Could be an injector not spraying perfectly.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, there's really no problems when I drive around town. The highway is a different story. But I filled up with 100% gasoline and 92. Used 2 cans of seafoam as well. I'll relook over all my vacuum lines, maybe I missed something. Thanks!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I noticed that my 87 4.0 inline 6 idles at about the same but it can only idle for about 10 minutes or so.
Anyone know how I could fix this?

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
what do you mean "idle for about 10 minutes"?

does it start to idle down then die, or something else?

Honestly, finding the problem first will be required then we could suggest a fix. But like it was said earlier check all your vacuum hoses, verify as well as you can that nothings is broken on the carb, and attempt to adjust. I found it to be a bit tricky since the carb on mine is still controlled by the ECM and I would get it to idle great in one instance, then later it would idle funny. I finally got it, but it was a process.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts