Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The silverado i had was a champ at pulling friends' cars out of ditches full of snow. I'm wondering if my JKUR will be as good?

Have you had success? Failure? pulling on snow or ice. . . any jeep specific tips?

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
If you have a JKUR you should be good. At worst get a winch, then you can strap yourself to another vehicle or object and winch them in. You can yank anything other than a semi like that.

·
Registered
996 Posts
The silverado i had was a champ at pulling friends' cars out of ditches full of snow. I'm wondering if my JKUR will be as good?

Have you had success? Failure? pulling on snow or ice. . . any jeep specific tips?
Here's my advice, give them a ride, let them sit in your warn jeep while they call a wrecker. If you pull them out and there is any damage their insurance company can come after YOU even if the damage was not caused by you pulling them out. I was in the auto insurance game for years we would do anything to not have to pay the claim. You are setting your self up for a law suit. This is my advice you do what you want but remember you were warned.

·
Registered
178 Posts
mcgee10 said:
Here's my advice, give them a ride, let them sit in your warn jeep while they call a wrecker. If you pull them out and there is any damage their insurance company can come after YOU even if the damage was not caused by you pulling them out. I was in the auto insurance game for years we would do anything to not have to pay the claim. You are setting your self up for a law suit. This is my advice you do what you want but remember you were warned.
Good advice. I have considered helping people with my winch in snow storms, never thought about the insurance side of things. You could get screwed just for trying to be nice.

·
zombie & ninja slayer
2,276 Posts
If I pull you out, YOU hook your own car up (unless your elderly)

·
Registered
996 Posts
If I pull you out, YOU hook your own car up (unless your elderly)
It doesn't matter who hooked it up, your still liable if your jeep was doing the pulling. Be very careful. Why does there always seem to be a price for being nice.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
To try to answer OP question..based on my experience with my little TJ you should have no problem....however I will not pull anyone if they are on ice or I am on ice....you know the proverbial "ice storm" at that point I will offer my cell and a ride to a gas station.

I also do not "give 'em a good jerk" to get them out, if I can not pull them out fairly easily............. refer to cell phone/ offer a ride. Up to you how much risk you want to take. Good Luck!!

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
Yeah because the insurance company knows who you are. If I stop and pull some random guy out I am sure he isn't gona take my full name and plate #....

recovering someone if isn't going to do any more damage than what they already did putting themselves in a ditch, and if for some reason it does, that should be clear before you do the pull. If you explain the risks to the person you are pulling I believe you should be safe from any kind of law suit because of the verbal agreement. Also how is the insurance company going to know the damage is from a recovery? Unless the person states that.

I understand what you mean, and it is important to only perform a recovery within your means, and use proper technique, but it is really not a big deal to give someone a helping hand.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Why is everyone so concerned with helping others? :rofl:

·
Registered
196 Posts
GoldenSahara00 said:
Yeah because the insurance company knows who you are. If I stop and pull some random guy out I am sure he isn't gona take my full name and plate #....

recovering someone if isn't going to do any more damage than what they already did putting themselves in a ditch, and if for some reason it does, that should be clear before you do the pull. If you explain the risks to the person you are pulling I believe you should be safe from any kind of law suit because of the verbal agreement. Also how is the insurance company going to know the damage is from a recovery? Unless the person states that.

I understand what you mean, and it is important to only perform a recovery within your means, and use proper technique, but it is really not a big deal to give someone a helping hand.
A verbal agreement doesn't hold up. He said she said doesn't mean squat. No proof. Better off just calling a tow truck. They are insured for damages.

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
A verbal agreement doesn't hold up. He said she said doesn't mean squat. No proof. Better off just calling a tow truck. They are insured for damages.

So him saying I pulled him out and me saying I didn't would me he has no proof that I did it. how the hell is he gona sue me? It was some other guy in a wrangler.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Assuming they don't have tow points, bumpers are meant to be wacked not yanked.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts

Snow has little friction, and the percieved payload to the vehicle is far smaller. Much like you would have trouble picking me up (200lbs) but if we were in a pool, you would have no issues.

Here is an STI pulling an 18 wheeler.

Subaru Impreza Pulls Truck Out of The Snow - YouTube

1 - 20 of 29 Posts