Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

This is probably a panic post, but interested in your opinions. My JKU is a 2016 with 42,000 miles. I bought it used last January. It had 30,000 miles on it at the time. It is bone stock expect for me switching out the stock kms fro Duratracs.

This morning driving into work the check engine light came on. I scanned the codes and two codes came up, UO414 (invalid data from 4wd clutch) and c1405 (transfer case range position sensor circuit high). This is the third time this year I have had to take the Jeep to the dealership for a check engine light. The first time was for a similar issue. The Jeep started going limp mode every so often. The dealer found that one of the wires to the TCPM was loose and needed to be plugged in. The second was a wheel speed sensor broke mid drive and the jeep would throw the brakes on.

What you guys do? This Jeep is my Daily Driver. I cant have issues pop up affecting the drivability. I previously had a 2012 JK and it did not have any issues like this. I am wondering did the previous owner experience issues like this and that's why they traded it in? I had assumed that mine came in off a high mileage lease but I am now second guessing that. I had hoped to have this jeep for years but should I start to consider other options?

·
Super Moderator
15,370 Posts
Check your state laws, in my state:
during the term of the warranty or during the period of one year following the date of original delivery of the motor vehicle, whichever is earlier
Neither of which your Jeeps meets. And some states you must be the original purchaser.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check your state laws, in my state:

Neither of which your Jeeps meets. And some states you must be the original purchaser.
Sorry, I should have titled the thread better. I do not think that I would be looking for a lemon law buyback or anything like that. I meant do you think these are symptomatic of a larger wiring or computer issue on the Jeep? And if so, should I potentially look into another Jeep or another vehicle after fixing this current issue? Computer issues on vehicles are beyond my knowledge.

·
Super Moderator
15,370 Posts
Sorry, I should have titled the thread better. I do not think that I would be looking for a lemon law buyback or anything like that. I meant do you think these are symptomatic of a larger wiring or computer issue on the Jeep? And if so, should I potentially look into another Jeep or another vehicle after fixing this current issue? Computer issues on vehicles are beyond my knowledge.
My bad :)

IMO hang in there and see how the Jeep does. That might be the only few issues it's had or may have for a while. If you continue to have issues then replace it.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Does it look like the PO may have done any work in the TCPM?
There are several known issues with the TCPM and most of them all end with replacing the whole TCPM.
I know it looks like just the fuse box but it does a lot more than just holding the fuses and relays.
I'd suggest getting a 2nd opinion from another dealer/mechanic as seeing the 1st didn't seem to really fix the original issue.
A bandaid only lasts so long and a lot of dealers love bandaids.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does it look like the PO may have done any work in the TCPM?
There are several known issues with the TCPM and most of them all end with replacing the whole TCPM.
I know it looks like just the fuse box but it does a lot more than just holding the fuses and relays.
I'd suggest getting a 2nd opinion from another dealer/mechanic as seeing the 1st didn't seem to really fix the original issue.
A bandaid only lasts so long and a lot of dealers love bandaids.
That's exactly my thinking. Did they slap on a band-aid to an existing issue? I will try and take a look at the TCPM when I get home. I am not too sure what to look for on it?

·
Super Moderator
4,565 Posts
I would look for anything that doesn't look like it came from the factory that way.
Additionally, you may need to take it to a better mechanic. You may be able to find that at another dealership, or you may need to take it to an independent mechanic. Obviously, an independent mechanic would not be covered under warranty, so take that for what it is. But often what is blamed on the vehicle being a "lemon" is really just mechanics that don't know how to troubleshoot and fix. It is mechanical / electronic device. It does what it does, there is no magic or mystery to it. But sometimes they rely too much on the ECU and the codes it puts out. But the ECU doesn't really know what is going on. It only knows what it knows based on sensor inputs.
An example. I had a fuel injected twin cylinder motorcycle. It started running poorly and telling me it had a bad O2 sensor. So I replaced the O2 sensor. It did not make a difference. So I started doing proper troubleshooting. I figured out that one of the two fuel injectors was sticking open. So the ECU was reading it as too rich and leaning out the mixture. Once it got to full lean, with the O2 sensor still saying too rich, it decided the O2 sensor must be bad. But it wasn't. I replaced the bad injector and all was well. Sadly, I had wasted a fair chunk of change on the new O2 sensor before I did what I should have done in the first place.

·
Registered
810 Posts
This morning driving into work the check engine light came on. I scanned the codes and two codes came up, UO414 (invalid data from 4wd clutch) and c1405 (transfer case range position sensor circuit high). This is the third time this year I have had to take the Jeep to the dealership for a check engine light. The first time was for a similar issue. The Jeep started going limp mode every so often. The dealer found that one of the wires to the TCPM was loose and needed to be plugged in. The second was a wheel speed sensor broke mid drive and the jeep would throw the brakes on.
Not sure what you mean by TCPM? There is a TIPM which is the main fuse box located between the battery and the airbox, and there is a PCM located between the ABS and left front headlight area. Either a TIPM re-seat or PCM re-seat is what it sounds like the dealer did when they found a loose wire.

TIPM re-seat can fix a lot of problems, but you shouldn't have to do it very often. The big connectors have locks on them, and if one break the connector can slightly back out causing weird gremlins.

I would unsnap the TIPM from it's mount, gently pull it out of the base (there is enough wire to get it up onto the fender) and then take a real close look at those connectors to make sure one isn't damaged. Be sure the battery negative cable is disconnected before unplugging anything on the TIPM or PCM.

Now, if the dealer meant the PCM, it is basically the same thing. 4 big connectors that lock on. Generally, the trans/transfer case would be a PCM issue rather than a TIPM issue. While the battery is disconnected, pull those 4 plugs, check for damage and re-seat them.

After you do the re-seats, hook the battery back up and then turn the key to the run position, but don't start the Jeep. Wait 12 seconds, turn it back to off and then start it.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure what you mean by TCPM? There is a TIPM which is the main fuse box located between the battery and the airbox, and there is a PCM located between the ABS and left front headlight area. Either a TIPM re-seat or PCM re-seat is what it sounds like the dealer did when they found a loose wire.

TIPM re-seat can fix a lot of problems, but you shouldn't have to do it very often. The big connectors have locks on them, and if one break the connector can slightly back out causing weird gremlins.

I would unsnap the TIPM from it's mount, gently pull it out of the base (there is enough wire to get it up onto the fender) and then take a real close look at those connectors to make sure one isn't damaged. Be sure the battery negative cable is disconnected before unplugging anything on the TIPM or PCM.

Now, if the dealer meant the PCM, it is basically the same thing. 4 big connectors that lock on. Generally, the trans/transfer case would be a PCM issue rather than a TIPM issue. While the battery is disconnected, pull those 4 plugs, check for damage and re-seat them.

After you do the re-seats, hook the battery back up and then turn the key to the run position, but don't start the Jeep. Wait 12 seconds, turn it back to off and then start it.
I just found the bill sheet from the first time. "FOUND DTC Implausible data from FDCM and lost comm with switch bank. -Found Trac Control, Hill Descent, and hazards inop - found switch unplugged causing concern. Plugged switch bank in and cleared DTCS." I am not having any of those issues at the moment and I got the c1405 code, so would it be a connection with the transfer case this time?

·
Registered
810 Posts
I just found the bill sheet from the first time. "FOUND DTC Implausible data from FDCM and lost comm with switch bank. -Found Trac Control, Hill Descent, and hazards inop - found switch unplugged causing concern. Plugged switch bank in and cleared DTCS." I am not having any of those issues at the moment and I got the c1405 code, so would it be a connection with the transfer case this time?
Sure sounds like it could be a connector. You might just run through the harness and disconnect/reconnect all the plugs. These plugs all locks together, so a disconnected one is pretty strange unless it's been monkeyed with and broke. Check the harness closely for damaged wires, pinches, etc.

·
Registered
504 Posts
MW2016 has the best answers that i would suggest first before taking it to someone. As far as being a DD, Jeeps are tough to be that sometimes and having a cheap beater around might help for these type of issues where your Jeep might be down for a few days.

·
Registered
181 Posts
All Jeeps are lemons if your measure their reliability against other cars. I just enjoy them for the fun factor, and try to overlook their quirks.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sure sounds like it could be a connector. You might just run through the harness and disconnect/reconnect all the plugs. These plugs all locks together, so a disconnected one is pretty strange unless it's been monkeyed with and broke. Check the harness closely for damaged wires, pinches, etc.
I didnt see anything last night that jumped out at me. I popped the hood and took a look at the connectors. The Jeep seemed to be slow accelerating last night and this morning but that could have just been me not pushing it. I left it at another dealer. They read the codes. The two codes were stored not active. I guess this could have gone away after a few drives. Like you said everything locks together, I don't like the idea that they just came loose on their own. I showed them the bill sheet from last time so they will start at the FDCM and go from there. Appreciate the help!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
MW2016 has the best answers that i would suggest first before taking it to someone. As far as being a DD, Jeeps are tough to be that sometimes and having a cheap beater around might help for these type of issues where your Jeep might be down for a few days.
That's the dream! I am not there yet though. I had thought about keeping the jk and getting a camry or civic as a dd. This JKU kind of fell into my lap.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The dealer replaced the transfer case switch. They tested the wire signal strength after removing the old switch. Everything checked out. I pick it up later. Thanks guys for the help!... I am not too pumped about needing to replace the switch, along with a wheel sensor and the loose connectors at the beginning of the year. I will wait and see with this JKU.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts