Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 JKU 75th AE. It came with 245/75r17 Goodyear all terrain adventure with Kevlar tires.
It's time to get new tires and I'm not ready for the upgrades I need for 35s/37s.

So I'm thinking about getting Goodyear Duratec 255/75r17.

My question is would i need to recalibrate going from 245 to 255?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Because of the size difference, your speedo will be off a bit. Whether that bothers you enough to do something about it is something that you will have to decide.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
I doubt it would be off enough to make a difference.

But if it is, look into the Jscan app. Awesome tool to have.

·
Registered
165 Posts
If you're not set on Duratracs and still want to go a tad bigger without any additional mods, take a look into 255/80-17. Limited selection, but they are pretty much all solid tire choices.

Edit: Sorry that didn't really answer your question. Like Swift says, it'll be up to you if that speedo difference is worth the recal. I will be doing the same thing in the next week or two, replacing my 245/75s (with 255/80s), and even if the speedo difference is very minor I am still going to recal because I KNOW it will bother me. Plus I can have the programmer for future uses as well.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all. I'm gonna stay with my current size and wait to recal when i get the lift and all

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
The specifications listed for the the LT245/75R17 is 661 revolutions per mile while the same spec for the LT255/75R17 is 649. That is a 2% difference which equates to 1 MPH at 60 MPH. Considering that most speedometers are a little optimistic (meaning they read a little faster than the Jeep is actually going) it means that the speedometer will actually be a bit more accurate.

For example, my Chief when traveling at an indicated 60 MPH on the speedometer (and GPS since it uses the Jeep speedometer not the GPS speed) the actual speed is more like 58 MPH.

·
Premium Member
2016 JKUR
167 Posts
On discount tires site there is a tire calculator that will compare tire sizes and give you the info you need. It’s under the tips tab. Then you can decide if the difference in speed matters enough for you. :drinks:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts