Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't had a chance to get a good look at it but is the "shovel" skid plate necessary?

I don't rock crawl, it's just been random beach trips lately. I'd like to remove it for the meanwhile to keep it from acting like land brake.

Is this possible without jeopardizing anything? Other than leaving that area exposed, of course.

Here's a picture for reference:

·
Registered
41 Posts
It looks like you have an auto trans and thats the front skid plate. If you've lifted the jeep then you need to remove that or your driveshaft will bang on it (the front skid is not structrural). You can't remove the bigger skid plate that the trans/transfer case bolts on - it is structural.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks like you have an auto trans and thats the front skid plate. If you've lifted the jeep then you need to remove that or your driveshaft will bang on it (the front skid is not structrural). You can't remove the bigger skid plate that the trans/transfer case bolts on - it is structural.
Yes it's an auto. And the front of it has been dropped to accommodate the driveshaft's movement.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Front part can be removed, the rear part that supports the transmission cannot. You can look at high clearance skid plates if you want some more ground clearance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts