Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at getting my first Wrangler and need some advice. There are several in my area, one a 1995 and the other a 1994, that are in nice condition but both have the 2.5 with the auto trans combo. I don't do much freeway driving and most all driving is in town or on back rural roads. I have't driven either of them yet but wanted to know the 4 cylinder has enough juice with automatic, I know its no powerhouse with the 5sp either. Also, how is the reliability of the auto trans compared to the 5 sp? Thanks for any input, I'm very new at this Wrangler thing.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Personal opinion. 4.2 for older and 4.0 for later with a manual trans will hold up better with high mileage. I would keep looking.

·
Registered
879 Posts
drive as many powertrain combos as you can

i'd bet that the 4cyl auto will come in at the bottom of your list

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
As mentioned, I would try to find one with a 6 cylinder. The 4 banger is kinda weak, and I have never driven one with an auto, but it has got to less than impressive. I have gotten use to my 4 banger, but would never buy another

·
Registered
540 Posts
It's a reliable combo not a truest powerful but shell last ya I hav a 95 wrangler with the 4 banger with the torqueflite transmission and I got almost 225000 miles on her

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
OL-BOY I know in Miss. has got 150,000ish on his 4/auto, it just runs and runs on small tires, just no power!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts